Can I Make a Physics Career at 40?

In summary, the individual is 40 years old with a BS in physics from 15 years ago, but did not pursue a career as a physicist. They are now considering a career or PhD in physics, but it may be more beneficial to have 15 years of experience rather than a PhD. It may also be difficult to become a professor with the time and opportunity costs involved. Overall, it may be more beneficial to pursue a different career instead of a PhD in physics.
ber70
I am 40. I finished physics (BS) 15 years ago. But I din't work as a physicist. Can I make phyics career or PHD on physics now?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "career"?

Judging from the job postings I've seen, it may be better to have 15 years of experience than a PhD.

Anyway, if you want to be a professor, it's probably not going to work. Figure a year or two for you to catch up on stuff you've forgotten to take the GRE, 6 years in grad school then post docs, maybe a faculty position in ten years, and an additional 3-5 for tenure? It seems pretty unlikely that you'll ever cover your opportunity costs.

I dunno---unless you're doing a PhD to prove something to yourself, you're probably better off doing something else.

1. Can I still pursue a career in physics at 40 years old?

Yes, it is never too late to pursue a career in physics. Many successful physicists have started their careers later in life, and age does not determine one's potential for success in the field.

2. Will my age be a disadvantage in the job market?

While age discrimination can unfortunately exist in any industry, the field of physics values experience and knowledge above all else. As long as you have the necessary qualifications and skills, your age should not be a hindrance in the job market.

3. Do I need to go back to school to pursue a physics career at 40?

It depends on your previous education and experience. If you have a strong background in math and science, you may be able to transition into a physics career without going back to school. However, you may need to take some additional courses or pursue a higher degree depending on your specific goals.

4. Will I be able to keep up with the fast-paced advancements in the field?

The field of physics is constantly evolving, but this does not mean that older individuals cannot keep up. With dedication and commitment to continued learning, you can stay up-to-date with the latest advancements and research in physics.

5. Are there any age restrictions for pursuing a physics career?

No, there are no age restrictions for pursuing a career in physics. As long as you have the necessary qualifications and skills, you can enter the field at any age.