Age Discrimination Risk for 27 Year Old in Aerospace Engineering

• Thread starter jmcgraw
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, starting an aerospace engineering program at 27 years old may be risky due to the current job market and competition with younger graduates. It is also important to note that access to expensive equipment may be necessary for success in the field. Additionally, there may be a surplus of qualified individuals for available jobs.
jmcgraw
Is it very risky for a 27 year old to begin study in an aerospace engineering program?

If I get a b.s. in 3 or 4 years, would age discrimination be a problem in getting an aerospace job? Or any engineering field for that matter?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aerospace took a big hit in the early 90s and the golden age is over. Jobs are incredibly hard to come buy, even for people who did things the "right way". So the answer is probably no. I don't know the full extent of your background, but I doubt you would even be accepted into a reputable program in aerospace engineering in any case. Some programs, especially ones at state universities, do actually admit people knowing full well they don't have much hope of finishing the program, much less finding a job. I suspect the departments just want butts in the seats so they can keep theif funding level. Caveat emptor.

As for other engineering, it is also a tough sell. You are competing with all the 22-year olds who don't have the "atypical" background that you have, so you will have to be exceptional. By that I mean doing original work applicable to some aspect of the industry. Problem is, that is pretty hard to do without access to expensive equipment that good schools have. So its somewhat of a catch-22.

I know this first hand, because I am in a similar situation. I think the hard truth is that there are way more bright people than their are jobs that require bright people. All that propoganda you hear about how America has a labor shortage in the technial field is nonsense. We graduate tons of qualified people and then Congress cuts NSF/NIH funding or barely bats and eye when tech jobs get outsourced. Bush says he wants to send men to Mars, but then never funds it. Pblackt.

Age discrimination is a concern in many industries, including aerospace engineering. However, it is important to remember that age discrimination is illegal and should not be a barrier to pursuing your career goals. While it is true that some employers may have preferences for more experienced candidates, your skills, knowledge, and abilities are what ultimately matter in the job market.

At 27 years old, you are still considered a young professional and have plenty of time to gain experience and advance in your chosen field. As long as you are dedicated and motivated to excel in your studies and gain relevant experience, your age should not be a hindrance to securing a job in aerospace engineering or any other engineering field.

It is also worth noting that many employers value diversity and may actively seek out younger candidates to bring fresh perspectives and ideas to their team. Additionally, as technology continues to advance at a rapid pace, there is a growing need for new, young talent in the aerospace industry.

In summary, while age discrimination may exist in some industries, it should not discourage you from pursuing your passion for aerospace engineering. Focus on developing your skills and gaining relevant experience, and let your qualifications speak for themselves. With determination and hard work, you can achieve success in your chosen field regardless of your age.

What is age discrimination?

Age discrimination refers to the unfair treatment of individuals based on their age, typically in the workplace or in a hiring process. It can take many forms, such as not considering someone for a job due to their age, or treating an older employee differently than a younger employee.

What is the risk of age discrimination for a 27 year old in aerospace engineering?

The risk of age discrimination for a 27 year old in aerospace engineering depends on various factors, such as the company culture, the specific job position, and the experience and qualifications of the individual. However, there is always a potential risk of age discrimination, as ageism can exist in any industry.

What laws protect against age discrimination in the aerospace engineering industry?

In the United States, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) protects individuals who are 40 years of age or older from discrimination in the workplace based on their age. Additionally, some states may have their own laws that provide further protection against age discrimination.

How can a 27 year old in aerospace engineering protect themselves against age discrimination?

One way for a 27 year old in aerospace engineering to protect themselves against age discrimination is to stay informed about their rights and the laws that protect them. They can also document any instances of potential age discrimination and report it to the appropriate authorities. Networking and building a strong professional reputation can also help mitigate the risk of age discrimination.

What can employers do to prevent age discrimination in the aerospace engineering industry?

Employers can prevent age discrimination in the aerospace engineering industry by providing equal opportunities and treatment for all employees, regardless of age. This can include implementing policies and training programs that promote diversity and inclusivity, as well as creating a culture of respect and fairness in the workplace.