Choosing the Right Research Advisor: Age Considerations for Graduate School

In summary: No, you can just steal their equations.and then you would forever be haunted from the grave by someone who wants their equations back!No, you can just steal their equations.In summary, it is important to choose an advisor who is about the same mathematical age as you are.
Manchot
So, now that graduate school is just around the corner, I'm left with the daunting task of picking a school and research group that I'd like to work with. This question may sound silly, but all other things being equal, but what age would people recommend a research advisor be? The more I think about it, the more important it seems to be. On the one hand, I could join a newly-formed research group where the professor is 8 or 9 years older than me, someone who is about as old as a sibling. On the other extreme, I could work with an endowed chair who's older than my grandfather.

It seems to me that there are advantages and disadvantages with the different age groups. Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, or experiences?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try not to work with an advisor who has failing health, regardless of age. I had a friend whose advisor died on him and he almost had to start over from square one.

Quaoar said:
Try not to work with an advisor who has failing health, regardless of age. I had a friend whose advisor died on him and he almost had to start over from square one.

I always figured that'd be a godsend, since then you could steal any unpublished work they were doing at the time they died.

I'd go for someone younger than 40 - don't go for anyone with other responsibilities, such as, head of department. They won't have as much time for you.

my adviser was about 2 years older than me and his adviser about another 2-3 years older than he was. it is the mathematical age difference that matters.

In fact both my adviser and his are still active and are speaking at my 65th birthday conference.

Last edited:
DeadWolfe said:
I always figured that'd be a godsend, since then you could steal any unpublished work they were doing at the time they died.

and then you would forever be haunted from the grave by someone who wants their equations back

1. What is the typical age range for a research advisor?

The age range for a research advisor can vary greatly, as there is no set age requirement for this role. However, most research advisors are typically in their mid-30s to early 60s, as they have gained enough experience and expertise in their field.

2. Is it necessary for a research advisor to have a specific degree or background?

While it is not necessary for a research advisor to have a specific degree or background, most advisors hold a PhD in a related field. This helps them have a deep understanding of the research process and be able to guide their students effectively.

3. Can a younger individual be an effective research advisor?

Yes, younger individuals can certainly be effective research advisors. As long as they have the necessary qualifications and experience in their field, age should not be a determining factor. It is important for a research advisor to have strong communication skills, the ability to mentor and guide others, and a passion for research.

4. How long does it take to become a research advisor?

The time it takes to become a research advisor can vary depending on an individual's educational background and career trajectory. Typically, it takes around 10-15 years of higher education and research experience to become a research advisor. This includes completing a bachelor's degree, a master's degree, and a PhD, as well as gaining relevant research experience.

5. What qualities make a good research advisor?

A good research advisor should possess strong communication and interpersonal skills, be knowledgeable and experienced in their field, be able to mentor and guide others, have a passion for research, and be patient and supportive of their students. They should also have strong leadership skills and be able to effectively manage and coordinate research projects.