Ageing of the universe using percentages of Uranium?

In summary, the conversation is about estimating the age of the solar system based on the abundance of uranium isotopes found on Earth. The measured half lives of uranium 238 and uranium 235 are given, and the attempt at a solution involves using the formula (1/2)^n=0.7/50 to calculate the number of half lives. However, the resulting estimate of 8.5ee9 years is not correct, and the individual is seeking help to find the error and suggest alternative approaches.
coffeem

Homework Statement

At the present time natual uranium found on Earth consists of 99.3% uranium 238 and 0.7% uranium 235. The measured half lives of these isotopes is 6.5ee9 years and 1.0ee9 years respectvely. By assuming they were equally abundent at time of formation, estimate the age of the solar system.

The Attempt at a Solution

(1/2)^n=0.7/50

this implies 8.537 half lives.

this indicates 8.5ee9 years. This isn't the correct answer, could someone please direct me to where I am going wrong and suggest what I might like to do instead. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please help me with this? I have posted as much as I have been able to do... I would even appretiate your ideas if you are not 100% sure. Thanks

Surely someone can help me with this? Have I posted it in the wrong place?

1. What is the percentage of Uranium present in the universe?

The percentage of Uranium present in the universe is approximately 0.0000000001%. This may seem like a small number, but considering the vastness of the universe, it still amounts to a significant amount of Uranium.

2. How is the age of the universe determined using percentages of Uranium?

The age of the universe is determined by measuring the amount of Uranium present in certain celestial objects, such as stars and meteorites. By using radioactive dating techniques, scientists can calculate the percentage of Uranium that has decayed into other elements, which can then be used to estimate the age of the object and, by extension, the age of the universe.

3. Can Uranium be used as a reliable indicator of the age of the universe?

Yes, Uranium is a reliable indicator of the age of the universe. This is because Uranium has a long half-life of 4.5 billion years, which means it takes a considerable amount of time for a significant portion of it to decay into other elements. This makes it a useful tool for determining the age of objects that are billions of years old.

4. How accurate is the age of the universe calculated using percentages of Uranium?

The accuracy of the age of the universe calculated using percentages of Uranium depends on the accuracy of the measurements and techniques used. However, it is generally accepted that the age of the universe is around 13.8 billion years, with a margin of error of about 50 million years.

5. Can Uranium be used to determine the age of the Earth?

Yes, Uranium can be used to determine the age of the Earth. As Uranium is present in rocks and minerals on Earth, scientists can use radioactive dating techniques to measure the amount of Uranium that has decayed into lead, which can then be used to estimate the age of the Earth. This is one of the methods used to determine that the Earth is approximately 4.5 billion years old.