1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aggravating limit

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\lim_{x\to\,-\infty}x + \sqrt{x^2 + 2x}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried conjugating by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by [tex]x + \sqrt{x^2 + 2x}[/tex], which gave me [tex]\frac{2x}{x - \sqrt{x^2 + 2x}}[/tex], but from there I have no idea on what to do.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sqrt(x^2+2x)=sqrt((x^2)*(1+2/x))=|x|*sqrt(1+2/x), yes?

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3
    from there, I have limited out and made the algebra equal to [tex]\frac{2x}{x - \left|x\right|}[/tex]. From there, what should I do?

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Duh. I missed a sign mistake in your numerator. Can you correct it? Now you have to get rid of the absolute value. How can you do that?

6. Oct 13, 2008 #5
    Ohhh, I double checked, and it was -2x. And, since its approaching negative infinity, the absolute value becomes --x, or +x. and, with this in mind, the equation becomes [tex]\frac{-2x}{2x}[/tex], or -1. And when a limit acts on a constant, the limit is the same as the constant. so, the limit equals -1.

7. Oct 13, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The limit is -1 alright, but the function isn't a constant. You already took most of the limit when you replaced sqrt(1+2/x) with 1. And |x|=-x if x<0. So x-|x|=x-(-x) is 2x. Your conclusions are right, but some of your words to describe the reasons are off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?