Aging Microwave Oven: Power Draw Impact?

In summary, it seems that the microwave might be breaking because of a loose or corroded connection, which might be in the breaker.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Can an aging microwave oven reaching the end of it life result in a change in its power draw?

I've had this microwave for many years, and I know they do wear out, but it has begun blowing a breaker when used. I can't think of any changes to our electrical draw in the house that might affect it. So I'm looking to see the unit itself could be changing.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Compare the time to heat a known mass of water from STP to a rolling boil with its rated heating power. Any power beyond that must present as excess heat load. More likely the CB is older, aging and should be at least re-seated if not replaced. It is a thermal sensing device and contact resistance RI^2 loss adds to sensed heat.

It certainly does seem to be not heating properly.

But why would that trip a breaker? And not a overheat breaker in the oven, but a breaker in my panel.

A loose or corroded connection can cause something to get hot that isn't supposed to, reducing the output while increasing the input. If you have another circuit you can plug into for a test, try that because the "loose or correded connection" could be in the breaker. But otherwise, sounds like you need a new microwave.

russ_watters said:
A loose or corroded connection can cause something to get hot that isn't supposed to, reducing the output while increasing the input. If you have another circuit you can plug into for a test, try that because the "loose or correded connection" could be in the breaker. But otherwise, sounds like you need a new microwave.
OK. Perfect. I wanted to ensure it was plausible before simply going out and purchasing a new one.

Elec. panel is only a couple of years old, having been uprgraded from fuses, (though the wiring has not been updated), so it's less likely to be the breaker.

I won't bother with the 'other circuit' test since it would only be conclusive should the continue to blow. If it does not, then it proves little.

DaveC426913 said:
Elec. panel is only a couple of years old, having been uprgraded from fuses, (though the wiring has not been updated), so it's less likely to be the breaker.
I wouldn't conclude that -- a newly installed, bad circuit breaker might take a couple of years to die. But if you are going to get a new microwave anyway, that is kinda moot.

russ_watters said:
But if you are going to get a new microwave anyway, that is kinda moot.
Well, I wouldn't say it's moot...

If I buy a microwave but the problem is the breaker, I'll have bought a new mc for nothing, and it'll still trip the breaker.

It's a risk, but I'm going to bet the odds on it. mc's do get old and faulty.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:

If I buy a microwave but the problem is the breaker, I'll have bought a new mc for nothing, and it'll still trip the breaker.

Something to have for this and general house electrical testing.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009MDBU/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:

Moot insofar as buying a new microwave will answer the question about the health of the breaker. Like you say though, odds are better that it is the microwave.

If your microwave heater "does not seem to be heating properly" and is drawing excess current then that current represents power that MUST be appearing somewhere as heat.

A microwave heater is tuned to resonate water. One might say that it loses efficiency by losing tuning, but that would result in lower load and lower current and not increased current. The device doesn't try harder to heat.

If your CB is tripping then it is tripping on over current and you need to find that RI^2 heat or it is tripping on overheat that can only be local in the contacts.

Doug Huffman said:
If your microwave heater "does not seem to be heating properly" and is drawing excess current then that current represents power that MUST be appearing somewhere as heat.
Yes but I'm less concerned about the heating than I am about why it is tripping the breaker. The 'poor warming' as far as I am concerned is simply a secondary symptom, to point me in the direction of what might be wrong.

New microwave purchased.

Will return with results.

Without even trying the appliance on a different circuit? Truly a consumerist culture.

Doug Huffman said:
Without even trying the appliance on a different circuit? Truly a consumerist culture.
Yup. It is a conscious choice. I have reached that point in my life.

And it's a trickle down. I am financing the 2nd-hand gadget repairers in my neighborhood. It will only be on the curb for an hour or two.

DaveC426913 said:
Elec. panel is only a couple of years old, having been uprgraded from fuses, (though the wiring has not been updated)
You didn't say how old the wiring is. Hopefully it's not knob and tube.

I have a microwave that was throwing a system error starting several months ago. I found a video that showed how fix it by removing connectors from the control panel and cleaning them with rubbing alcohol. Unfortunately I'm having to take it apart and clean it about once per month. I think that my micowave is an alcoholic.

Anytime I have to get into an appliance, breaking and re-making connectors, I use a contact improving oxidation inhibiting paste. Most recently on a heated mattress pad that was baking the cheap plastic insulation at the 0.050 connector.

aaaaaaaaaaaaand the old one has been spirited away...

Doug Huffman said:
contact improving oxidation inhibiting paste
That's a mouthful.

Doug Huffman said:
contact improving oxidation inhibiting paste
Borg said:
That's a mouthful.
You're not supposed to eat it. ?:)

Likes Borg
Your assessment of alcoholism isn't far wrong. It is a cumulative mess since alcohol is not really very good for cleaning contacts and does nothing to lubricate or coat them to prevent wear and further oxidation.

Have a look here for a professionally superior product, well worth the investment - http://www.caig.com/

They used to market a product that was just short of miraculous that was nixed by EPA standards so long ago my failing memory no longer recalls the exact name. I bought a gallon jug of the liquid for some seemingly ridiculous price to hold out as long as possible but by the turn of the century it was sadly all gone. It came in two varieties designated by either blue or red labels and one was just a cleaner while the other, the red stuff, was both cleaner and lubricant/protectant. I should have bought several.

What is the impact of power draw on the aging of a microwave oven?

The power draw of a microwave oven refers to the amount of electricity it uses when in operation. This can have a significant impact on the aging of the appliance.

How does power draw affect the lifespan of a microwave oven?

The higher the power draw of a microwave oven, the more strain it puts on its internal components. This can lead to faster wear and tear, and ultimately shorten the lifespan of the appliance.

Is it better to use a lower power setting on a microwave oven to extend its lifespan?

Yes, using a lower power setting on a microwave oven can help extend its lifespan. This reduces the strain on the appliance and allows it to operate at a more sustainable level.

Can power fluctuations or surges damage a microwave oven?

Yes, power fluctuations or surges can damage a microwave oven. Sudden increases in power can cause the appliance to overheat and potentially damage its internal components.

How can I reduce the impact of power draw on the aging of my microwave oven?

One way to reduce the impact of power draw on the aging of a microwave oven is to use it at lower power settings whenever possible. It is also important to properly maintain and clean the appliance regularly to ensure its efficient operation.