Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AgNO3 + NH3?

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    Ok, lab work...
    I have to figure out a way to separate out the individual cations from a solution containing Fe(NO3)2, Cr(NO3)2, Ag(NO3), and Ni(NO3)2 and get each one into a particular form and perform a confirmatory test on it.
    I've think I know how to get started on it. First adding some NH3 to the solution I should have Ni(NH3)6(2+) (aq), Fe(OH)3(s), Cr(OH)3(s), and Ag(NH3)2(s). Centrifuging out the solid should leave the Ni(NH3)6(2+) which I can run the confirmatory test on.

This is where I get a little stuck. I think by adding NaOH to the solids I should get Fe(OH)3(s), Cr(OH)4(-1)(aq), and Ag(OH)(aq)? I'm not sure about the Ag(OH) if that is correct and whether it is aq or s.

If I did my reaction right its:
    Ag(NH3)2(+) + NaOH --> Ag(OH) + Na(NH3)?

If I could get some input as to whether I'm on the right track or not it would be appreciated very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I would separate Ag+ as chloride. Ag(NH3)2+ is not a solid.

But it seems like you are contradicting yourself in your post.

4. Mar 26, 2009 #3
    Maybe you intended [tex]Fe(NO_3)_3,\ Cr(NO_3)_3? [/tex] Otherwise they can't then give [tex]Fe(OH)_3,\ Cr(OH)_3[/tex] as you write after
    And [tex]Ag(NH_3)_2^+[/tex], as Borek wrote.
    No.

[tex]2Ag(NH_3)_2^+\ +\ 2NaOH\ \rightarrow\ Ag_2O\ +\ 2Na^+\ +\ 4NH_3\ +\ H_2O[/tex]

(Initially it forms AgOH, which quickly decomposes into the oxide).

Anyway, adding OH- to an ammonia solution of silver can produce dangerous compounds, so it's not advisable.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  5. Jun 30, 2011 #4
    Borek,

First off I am into learning on my own, but I am stuck here and could use a little help.

I am working on equation writing, I have NH3(aq) + AgNO3. I have hit the Raymond Chang, Ninth edition for explanation on solving this, but I might be in the wrong section for comprehension. Could you guide me in the direction of information that could help me solve this, Thanks.

6. Jun 30, 2011 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Go net ionic. Ag+ is getting complexed by two ammonia molecules.

Please don't necropost, rather start a new thread.

7. Jun 30, 2011 #6
    Will do, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook