Agnostic theist and agnostic athiest question

• Thread starter huginn
  • Start date
Hello

I have something of a disagreement with someone over semantics
I don't see a problem with someone being an agnostic theist as I see agnostic as a statement about knowledge and theist as a statement of belief which someone is clamming to be an oxymoron. His position is if you believe God exists then you must know God exists, I maintain is that you cant truly know

The other disagreement is atheist agnostic. He claims atheist is a a belied that God does not exist and its always been defined that way and agnostic is simply a lack of belief
He seems to think that knowledge equals belief

Just what are the former proper definitions and just what is the difference if any between knowledge and belief

Answers and Replies

Evo
Mentor
We have many, many threads on this. If I have time, I'll look some up and post the defintions for you.

Here are the best that had been previously posted.

Atheism, in a broad sense, is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[4][5] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.[5][6]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Agnosticism is the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism