Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AGP slots?

1. Sep 14, 2005 #1
    I'm building a DVR system out of some older componets i have laying around my house. I'm going to be needing a new video card but everything worthy of puting money into is either AGP 2x/4x or AGP 4x/8x. My question iwould an older MoBo with the "old" AGP slots be able to support an AGP 2x/4x card?

Thanks,
    -Burg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You don't need an amazing graphics card if all you're going to be doing is output to S-Video or Coxial.

4. Sep 14, 2005 #3
    The video card(s) i'm thinking about aren't that "amazing" they just have alot of memory and are fast. I'm outputting to a 42" projection, I've heard the quality with low end cards is very noticible.

5. Sep 14, 2005 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The purpose of the processing power and memory is for doing realtime 3d rendering. When you use the card to output regular video to a tv, those features are not used at all.

Different manufacturers have different reputations for 2d picture quality (ATI probably has the best), but as long as you get something within about 2 years old, there won't be any difference in the 2d capabilities between a low end and high end card. In fact, they generally use the exact same 2d hardware.

6. Oct 1, 2005 #5
    The one thing to be observant about when purchasing a newer agp card for an older system is the voltage compatibility issue. Don't worry the cards are keyed to only fit into a voltage compatible slot, but by researching thoroughly before purchasing, mail order returns or extra trips to the store can be avoided.

Here is a wiki table which may help you sort things out. The key is knowing what your old mobo's exact agp voltage compatibility is

http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/agpcompatibility.html

j...ust ignore the spam link at the top. ...Wikipedia used to have its own page on this issue, I wonder what happened?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?