1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Agravic point between planets

1. Jan 20, 2005 #1
    Ok, this extra credit assignment is driving crazy. I keep trying to put it away and work on something important, but it can't get it out of my mind.

The full question is:
    On the agonic line between Earth and Mars lies the agravic point with respect to the gravitational fields of the two planets. Determine the location of that point as a function of the locations of both Earth and Mars.

I assume they are talking about the point between the planets where the force of gravity of the earth equals the force of gravity of mars.

I've tried a few different things to get a formula that would tell me how far from earth the point would be if the distance between them was known. It keeps leading me to a quadratic with no real solution if the distance between them is large.

Even if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong there, I'm not totally sure it's what the question is asking. What do they mean by "as a function of the locations of both planets"? Shouldn't I be free to set up my own coordinate system with Earth at the origin?

Here's what I have so far:

G = gravitational constant
    Me = mass of Earth
    Mm = mass of Mars
    x = distance between the center of the Earth and the agonic point (I think this should end up being the dependant variable)
    d = distance between the Earth and Mars (I think this should be the independent variable)

Since I want to find the point where the gravitational field of the Earth is equal to the gravitational field of Mars, I set them equal to each other.

The G's cancel, after a little algebra, I end up with:

If I try to solve this for x I end up with a negative under the square root sign if d is large.

Can someone help me out with this? Am I even getting close?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"If I try to solve this for x I end up with a negative under the square root sign if d is large."

I don't see why you would. Using the quadratic formula, the "discriminant" (b2- 4ac) for this equation is
    [tex]4d^2- 4(1-\frac{M_m}){M_e}d^2}= 4d^2(\frac{M_m}{M_e})[/tex].

That's positive as long as the masses are!
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  4. Jan 20, 2005 #3
    Thanks, I see it now. I had used B=-2 instead of B=-2d and then just kept making the same mistake over an over.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?