Calculating Travel Time to Alpha Centauri

In summary: So, the question is how to define your zillion.In summary, the individual is asking for the amount of time it would take to travel to Alpha Centauri, which is 4.35 light years away, at a speed of 400,000,000 miles per hour. To calculate this, one must first convert light years to miles (1 light year = 5,874,601,673,407.301 miles) and then use the formula t = x/v, where t is time, x is distance, and v is velocity. The answer would be approximately (4.35*5.874/400) zillion hours, depending on the definition of "zillion." There may also be a small
oxymoron_02
Alright, so I'm new here and don't really know the ropes. This question could go either in Astronomy, or here; but here is better since what I need involves an equation.
So first a little about me: I'm new to this forum, and suck at maths. That is all.

So maybe some clever mathematician among all of you could answer this question.
If the system Alpha Centauri is around 4.35 light years away and a light year is 5,874,601,673,407.301 miles (while light travels at 299 792 458 miles per second), going at a speed of four hundred million miles per hour, how long it would it take to get to Alpha Centauri?

I'm not sure how this will be taken, I know it confuses the bejebus out of me, so the key facts are:

Alpha Centauri - 4.35 lightyears
1 lightyear = 5,874,601,673,407.301 miles
speed of light - 299 792 458 miles per second
ship speed - 400 000 000 miles per hour

If I left anything out, just say. As I say I'm not good at maths and so tend to leave out critical details, overlook them, or just plain screw them all up.
This is for a story some friends and myself are working on, and I'm supposed to be the one who knows this stuff.

Thanking you in advance,
- Oxy

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If it helps, 4000000 mile/hour (mph) = 1,111.1111111 mile/second.

This goes in general physics, if not high-school homework.

First get the distance to alpha centauri (in miles, I suppose)
Then, use that and the speed of the ship (in miles per hour) to get the number of hours.

I'd have thought it would end up in years. And this does seem more suited to maths, apply the numbers to a mathematically phrased question and they are no longer physics.
Basically what I am saying is that the core of my question is numbers/maths, not physics. I'm giving you numbers for input, and I need an output of numbers.

oxymoron_02 said:
Alpha Centauri - 4.35 lightyears
1 lightyear = 5,874,601,673,407.301 miles
speed of light - 299 792 458 miles per second
ship speed - 400 000 000 miles per hour
x = 4.35 * 5.874 gazillion miles.

v = x/t so t = x/v = 4.35 * 5.874 gazillion miles / 400 million mph = (4.35*5.874/400) zillion hours, where my definition of zillion is gazillion/million.

The fact is light travels at about 186000 miles/sec. You are confusing kilometers. Another matter here, since you, oxymoron 02, tell us you are going about 1111 miles/sec, as a ratio to light this is around .0059, which would hardly effect:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt(1-(.0059)^2)}, [/tex]so that the relativistic factor would not be much, at least using my calculator.

Last edited:

1. How long would it take to travel to Alpha Centauri?

The exact travel time to Alpha Centauri depends on the speed of the spacecraft and the route taken. However, using current technology, it would take approximately 100 years to travel to Alpha Centauri.

2. What is the distance between Earth and Alpha Centauri?

The distance between Earth and Alpha Centauri is approximately 4.37 light years. This is equivalent to about 25 trillion miles or 40 trillion kilometers.

3. Could humans survive the journey to Alpha Centauri?

With current technology, humans would not be able to survive the journey to Alpha Centauri. The trip would take too long and the spacecraft would not have enough supplies to support human life for that amount of time. However, with advancements in technology, it may be possible for humans to survive the journey in the future.

4. How fast would a spacecraft need to travel to reach Alpha Centauri?

In order to reach Alpha Centauri in a reasonable amount of time, a spacecraft would need to travel at speeds close to the speed of light, which is about 186,282 miles per second or 299,792 kilometers per second.

5. What are some challenges of calculating travel time to Alpha Centauri?

One of the main challenges in calculating travel time to Alpha Centauri is the vast distance and the lack of technology to travel at such high speeds. Other challenges include the effects of space radiation and the need for advanced propulsion systems to sustain the speed required for the journey.