1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ahhh - please help

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    Please help. My professor thinks I know this ****.

Ψ(x,t)=Ae^-a(mx^2/η+it)

A particle of mass m is in the infinite, one-dimensional, time-dependent state:

where A and a are positive real constants. What are: (a) normalization constant A, (b) the potential energy function, U(x), which satisfies Schrödinger equation with (x,t) being its eigenfunction, (c) the quantum-mechanical expectation value of x, (d) the quantum-mechanical expectation value of x2, (e) the quantum-mechanical expectation value of momentum ^p, and (f) the quantum-mechanical expectation value ^p2

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are your thoughts on this ? Start with point a).

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3
    I honestly don't know where to start. this is the question the teacher gave me.
    Can you please help?

5. Nov 14, 2011 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you can't be absolutely clueless. Pick up your theory notes/book. What does normalization constant mean and how do you find it ? Your attitude's not right. You gotta show some willingness, else help is not coming to you.

6. Nov 14, 2011 #5
    I know how to normalize a funtion but i am getting stuck in the middle of it... we have never normalize somthing like this before all we have ever done was matrices, i am not very strong in this type of math

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook