Are We Under Attack? Explosions Heard in Baghdad at Night

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the dangers of people setting off bombs and shooting guns to celebrate holidays. The speakers discuss the risks of falling bullets and the need for public service announcements to educate people on the dangers of shooting into the air. One person shares a personal story about a man who was killed by a stray bullet and another person mentions their own safe shooting practices. The conversation ends with a reference to the ancient belief that bullets float gently to the ground due to their light weight.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ahhh we're under attack!

It sounds like Baghdad during the US bombing! I know maybe 10% of these explosions can be guns but most of what I am hearing outside sounds like people are setting off bombs. AND ITS ONLY 10:40!

TAKE COVER!

Physics news on Phys.org
BOOM!

whoops :redface:

well, maybe its just the local kids playing. when i played with bombs, i always tried to set the small ones off after supper. The big ones go off in the morning!

The other night on the local news they had a plea to people to not shoot their guns to celebrate. Stupid highlights were a man that was drunk and forgot he was inside his apartment and shot off his gun to celebrate at midnight and hit the person in the apartment above him. One woman reporter said "my daddy always shot his guns off at midnight, but you know, those bullets come down and they hurt people, so maybe that's a holiday ritual that should be stopped". Gee, you think? :rolleyes:

Hey Bubba let's get drunk and shoot our guns!

Evo said:
The other night on the local news they had a plea to people to not shoot their guns to celebrate. Stupid highlights were a man that was drunk and forgot he was inside his apartment and shot off his gun to celebrate at midnight and hit the person in the apartment above him. One woman reporter said "my daddy always shot his guns off at midnight, but you know, those bullets come down and they hurt people, so maybe that's a holiday ritual that should be stopped". Gee, you think? :rolleyes:
Hey Bubba let's get drunk and shoot our guns!

Well one guy a few years ago was killed when a bullet came down and went through his house and hit him in the head! Talk about probability...

Yeah, we should make new customs that include dropping cats off buildings and stuff.

I hate people shooting into the air. I've seen commercials that say don't do it, but I've always thought there should be public service announcements that explain the math, it's easy enough to explain simply and quickly. People think the bullets float gently to the ground and they need to understand the facts.

tribdog said:
I hate people shooting into the air. I've seen commercials that say don't do it, but I've always thought there should be public service announcements that explain the math, it's easy enough to explain simply and quickly. People think the bullets float gently to the ground and they need to understand the facts.

Who the heck thinks that? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Pengwuino said:
Who the heck thinks that? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Holdovers from the days of Aristotle. Bullets don't weigh very much so they can't fall very fast.

After they banned firecrackers up here, I used to touch the .44 off at midnight, but it was always into a proper target with a backstop.

What is considered an "attack" in a scientific context?

An attack in a scientific context can refer to any intentional and harmful act or event that disrupts normal functioning or causes damage to a system, organism, or environment.

What are the most common types of attacks in the scientific community?

The most common types of attacks in the scientific community include cyber attacks, physical attacks, vandalism, and theft.

How can scientists prepare for potential attacks?

Scientists can prepare for potential attacks by implementing strict security protocols, regularly updating and backing up data, and conducting risk assessments to identify vulnerabilities.

What should scientists do if they suspect an attack is taking place?

If scientists suspect an attack is taking place, they should immediately alert their security team or authorities and follow any emergency procedures in place.

How can scientists prevent future attacks?

Scientists can prevent future attacks by continuously monitoring and updating security measures, educating themselves and their colleagues on potential risks, and reporting any suspicious activity.