Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ahmadinejad Interview

1. Sep 24, 2007 #1
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/21/60minutes/main3286690.shtml

I wanted to know what people thought of his interview, I'm from Egypt which had it's share of problems with Iran but I believe he's a reasonable man and I definitely give him more credibility than bush and his administration.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2
    He is a Holocaust denier and a religious fundamentalist. That makes him and unreasonable man.

4. Sep 24, 2007 #3
  5. Sep 24, 2007 #4
    What exactly that did he say that you judge him Holocaust denier? How is he religious fundamentalist, what fundamental did he do? or whatever that term means? That sentence Moridin, does not convey one information about Ahmadinejad but it says all about judging. Since when reasonableness has to do anything with religion?

6. Sep 24, 2007 #5
    LOL I enjoyed this one:

Asked about widely documented government abuse of women and homosexuals in his country, Ahmadinejad said, "We don't have homosexuals" in Iran. "I don't know who told you we had it," he said.

-------

OK the guy is obviously somewhere off the deep end (assuming he actually believes that).

7. Sep 24, 2007 #6
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/12/10/iran.israel/index.html
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/12/14/iran.israel/

Religion is generally inversely proportional to the level of reason a person has.

He is a religious fundamentalist when it comes to Islam as well as a fanatic.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/netdict?Fundamentalist
    http://m-w.com/dictionary/fanatic

8. Sep 24, 2007 #7
    Moridin, It's funny that you'd quote CNN when the title of the site I gave you was "NEWS YOU WON'T FIND ON CNN", I believe that his words were intentionally misinterrupted by the US media.

9. Sep 24, 2007 #8
    Moridin, im sorry but again you fail to show how religion in generally cuts one's reason in half level.

The other statement is still void of a point. I know you love reason and you read books I have read, and I dont know how with that knowledge can you produce such misinformed and intentionally loaded statements?

They are intentional since you choose to read only "confirmatory" information about you prior knowledge which is I presume collective in its core anyway. As a reader of Sagan's you should know that you cannot confirm belief.

On general note, I am always trying to avoid political debates because people I know as reasonable in lets say science come out completelly "donkey brained" when it comes to reasoning out their "political" opinions. Rethoric one: How is this possible?

10. Sep 24, 2007 #9
  11. Sep 24, 2007 #10
  12. Sep 24, 2007 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Today when asked if he executes homosexuals, he said: "In Iran, we don't have homosexuals... I don't know who told you that we did" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. Sep 24, 2007 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the same way that we didn't have homosexuals in the army when we had conscription.

14. Sep 24, 2007 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps it would have been better to ask if he has ever had anyone excuted for engaging in homosexual activity.

I didn't get to watch his appearance at Columbia U today, but I look forward to the comedy. What a little snake he is.

Cafferty calls him Ahmadinnerjacket.

15. Sep 24, 2007 #14
    I see a lot of irrationality in people I expect it the least: Statements like ......cheered..., and assuming one statement justifies whole bag of emotionally loaded statement about some person and or person who is aking about nature of these assumption is best we can do in political debate ?

16. Sep 24, 2007 #15
    By the way I wish I could teach about truth of Holocaust, but its not possible to be rational on political debates. [Being jew descend and from Europe and large family, stories ..yada yada ] Politics is a means to reach desires, and as such cannot lead to truth, as at least in principle in science is not about desires but about observations. (I wonder how many ppl take this as statement about denial of Holocaust. And the same stop-and-think I want when talking about statesman )

17. Sep 24, 2007 #16
    Has today's questions-&-answers session between Ahmadinejad and a bunch of students at Columbia University been released yet? Anyone have a link?

18. Sep 24, 2007 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's the funny thing about the Holocaust claims: The most popular TV show in Iran is about the Holocaust! Apparently dinnerjacket was over-ruled by an Ayatollah, and the show goes on.

A rather postive sign I thought.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118912609718220156.html

19. Sep 24, 2007 #18
    It's amazing that most people here are upset about his views on Homosexuals, Women and The Holocaust and not his nuclear program, although this is a good sign that a lot of people aren't seeing him as an actual threat it shows how much of a cultural differences appears to be between us, although you might find it astonishing, his views on homosexuality is widely accepted in the Arabic and Islamic world and I truly doubt there will be any changes to it soon. That being said it's funny to see how the limits of "freedom of speech" are being tested in the USA when that topic concerns the holocaust yet all the newspapers yell "freedom" when it's about mocking a religious figure from the Islamic world.

20. Sep 24, 2007 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I went to college with many people from the M.E., and in particular people from Iran, and my old boss was from Iran, I can tell you that IMO, our two cultures do not have any fundamental problems in getting along. Sure, we have differences [esp when it comes to doing business], but I can honestly say that I've never met an Iranian that I didn't like.

The problem with this guy is that he's a nut. And it seems that even the Ayatollahs known it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  21. Sep 24, 2007 #20
    Ivan, I'm from the ME and I believe when it comes to homosexuality, women, freedom of speech and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict our views differ a lot. but that wasn't the point I was aiming at, what I was saying is that sometimes we have to accept each others culture as it is. We will never change our views on jailing homosexual people just as you won't stop prosecuting people who deny the holocaust. the problem as I believe is that our views provoke you more than yours surprise us (we're used to your views due to your powerful media hammering us with them).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?