Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Ahmadinejad Meeting Antizionist Jews in NY

1. Sep 26, 2009 #1

Interesting Video.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2
    Just when you think you've seen/heard it all.

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    It's a rather strange video.

5. Sep 29, 2009 #4
    Ahmadinejad has always gotten along fine with anti-Zionists from what I've seen of him anyway, be they Jews or otherwise. He even hosted some anti-Zionist Jews at what many called the "Holocaust denial conference", where they came to confront the deniers with the facts. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9209384689804807271&ei=j8jBSodS0riVB_781NwG&q=holocaust+iran+jews&hl=en#" [Broken], unfortunately the audio quality is awful, but I recommend suffering though it to hear a perspective I doubt many here have.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Sep 29, 2009 #5
    That interviewer on Faux news is such a bozo. He can't shut up for 5 seconds to save his life.

7. Sep 29, 2009 #6
    I'm fairly sure the Foxnews guy was doing exactly the job which he was assigned to.

8. Sep 29, 2009 #7
    I think they lost him when they mentioned the holocaust.

9. Sep 29, 2009 #8
    I get the impression Ahmadinejad lost you when he mentioned "The Holocaust", or more likely some handwaving from others got in the way. Despite popular opinion, Ahmadinejad acknolages the Nazi genocide. For example, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14911753/" [Broken]:
    That exemplifies his dispute; which is not with the fact that the Nazis murdered millions of Jews, but with how that genocide of Jews has been exalted over that of all the other groups Hitler deemed "sub-human" and murdered off, along with all the other people who lost their lives in the madness which was WWII. Later in the interview he explains his reason for taking issue with the way many perceive the Nazi's genocide against Jews:
    This is the same position on the matter which; the Right Honourable Sir Gerald Kaufman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMGuYjt6CP8&feature=player_embedded", despite the fact he was raised by survivors and is well versed in the facts.

10. Sep 29, 2009 #9

Maroc

Gold Member

Does this symbolize a stop in Nuclear Warfare

11. Sep 29, 2009 #10
    I should point out that I don't care for Ahmadinejad or the anti-zionist Jews that he was with, or the Palestinians, or Israelis. I just thought the clip was interesting and not something you see in western media.

12. Sep 29, 2009 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

A-Jad likes to talk out of both sides of his mouth and he is quite skilled at it - and you only showed one side of what he says. With the other side of his mouth, he calls for debate, calls historians politically motivated and holds meetings with holocaust deniers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmoud_Ahmadinejad#Allegations_of_Holocaust_denial_and_anti-Semitism

13. Sep 29, 2009 #12
    I consider talking out both sides of one's mouth a sign of affliction rather than a skill, but I am only able to show from that which I have seen.
    As one who believes nothing temporal is sacred, I don't see the duplicity you allege in that.
    He said most are politically motivated, and I'm not rightly in a position to either substantiate or refute that claim. Are you?
    Yet he also includes people who don't deny anything of the sort, Orthodox rabbis no less, as I presented above. Why are you only acknowledging one side of that?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2009
  14. Sep 29, 2009 #13

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Seriously? It is one of the critical skills that makes for a good politician!
    You don't? Really? It's classic crackpot logic for people who want to challenge the mainstream. It's the primary argument used by creationists for inserting creationism into schools, for example. He wants to debate something that there is no reasonable debate to be had on. That's a clear sign of a crackpot.
    C'mon, kyleb. You're playing into his hand. Your line of argument simply isn't reasonable. There is no serious debate between historians over the major points of the holocaust and I think you know it. It has nothing to do with political bias. You're starting to sound like him!

Furthermore, his position on the subject is clearly motivated by political bias. The stated goal of that holocaust conference was to attack Israel regardless of whether the holocaust happened or not:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Conference_to_Review_the_Global_Vision_of_the_Holocaust

So the point was really just to set up a forum for attacking Israel.
    I am pointing out the side that you didn't acknowledge. Why would I need to reiterate what you said? Caveat: I'm not sure any of those groups/people you pointed out really represent the mainstream view. The choices were clearly chosen to support the second half of the conference's motives: the 'even if the holocaust happened, Israel still shouldn't exist' part.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  15. Sep 30, 2009 #14
    He sent a personal congratulation letter to Obama .. So, these kind of things are at least not new.

I think he will do anything to isolate Israel.

16. Sep 30, 2009 #15
    Could it be this discussion reveals that any Jewish person with the means and opportunity to live in Israel could be labeled an Antizionist Jew? Hence the significance of the meeting is diminished.

To summarize, under this working definition, Ahmadinejad met with Jewish persons who live in New York (and choose not to live in Israel) who expressed concern for the welfare and noted the contributions of Jews living in Iran. It's hardly newsworthy in this context.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook