Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AHSRAE 62.1-2007 equation

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    There is an equation in this standard for a primary outdoor air fraction: Zp=Voz/Vpz (eqn 6-5) which is pretty much a percentage of outside air where Voz is the outside airflow and Vpz is the primary airflow.

But then it shows in table 6-3 in the same standard that the higher the Zp value, the lower the ventilation efficiency (Ev). I would guess that the higher Zp (percentage outside air), the higher efficiency it should be.

This is a big mystery for me. Am I seeing things or interpreting it wrong? Anybody who has experience with this standard and can help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't have a copy of this at home (I'll check tomorrow at work to verify...), but ventilation efficiency is the efficiency at which ventilation is delivered to the occupants, not the quantity delievered. So a system with a lower ventilation efficiency requires more outside air to achieve the same effective ventilation.

4. Oct 12, 2011 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

So I checked the standard and my answer was sorta correct, but incomplete:

Since outside air is mixed with return air at the unit, the only way to ensure a zone with an unusually high OA need gets what it needs is to increase the OA fraction of the unit. This results in some zones being overventilated. So the most efficient system is one where each zone needs the same OA fraction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook