AI: Is It Inherently Dualistic?

• Thread starter Picklehead
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ai
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of AI and its relation to dualism. The idea of creating an artificial mind through an artificial brain raises questions about computational equivalence and dualism. While the ability to copy information from one source to another may seem like a form of duality, it may not necessarily imply a separation of the mind from the brain. The definition of "artificial" in AI also plays a role in this discussion. Overall, the concept of AI and its potential for dualism is a complex and debatable topic.
Picklehead
Question: Is the concept of AI inherently dualistic? I personally don't believe so, but after reading Searl's Chinese Room argument, he does bring up a good point.

Minds, as we currently know them, reside in, or are the products of, or are our brains. Is the idea that we can take what goes on in our heads and separate it completely from what is actually in our heads, and use that to create a completely differently substrate that does the same thing not just an example of computational equivalence, but also subtly dualistic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Picklehead said:
Question: Is the concept of AI inherently dualistic? I personally don't believe so, but after reading Searl's Chinese Room argument, he does bring up a good point.

Minds, as we currently know them, reside in, or are the products of, or are our brains. Is the idea that we can take what goes on in our heads and separate it completely from what is actually in our heads, and use that to create a completely differently substrate that does the same thing not just an example of computational equivalence, but also subtly dualistic?

Perhaps in the trivial way of software/hardware duality. I should think that the fact that I can copy the information from a floppy onto my PC and then burn the same information onto a CD-ROM is the same concept.

That's a tricky one!
In many ways, the answer ot this question seems to hinge upon what is meant by the word 'artificial' in AI.
If we accept Searle's axiom that 'brains cause minds', then surely, an 'artificial' brain could cause an artificial mind, and arguably, the mind so caused would be artificial only in the sense of having been created, rather than born of a parent; it would be an actual mind, nonetheless. If such an artificial mind is caused by an artificial brain with artificial qualia, then no duality need be inferred.
This is not the same as the concept of AI in the form of intelligent software, which does indeed appear to suggest dualism.
I'm confused...

1. What is AI?

AI, or artificial intelligence, refers to the simulation of human intelligence in machines that are programmed to think and act like humans.

2. Is AI inherently dualistic?

The answer to this question is still a subject of debate in the scientific community. Some argue that AI is inherently dualistic, as it involves creating a system that mimics human thought and decision-making, while others argue that AI can be non-dualistic and based on different principles.

3. What is dualism in AI?

Dualism in AI is the belief that there is a fundamental difference between human intelligence and artificial intelligence. It suggests that human intelligence has a non-physical or spiritual aspect that cannot be replicated in machines.

4. Can AI ever truly be non-dualistic?

There are ongoing efforts to develop non-dualistic AI that is based on different principles than human intelligence, such as quantum computing. However, it is still a topic of research and development, and it is unclear if AI can ever truly be non-dualistic.

5. What are the implications of AI being inherently dualistic?

If AI is inherently dualistic, it may have significant philosophical and ethical implications. It could raise questions about the nature of consciousness and the role of technology in society, as well as ethical considerations about the treatment and rights of AI systems.