1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AI music volume control

1. Jun 7, 2007 #1
    Was given an assignment to create an AI that can control the music's volume by using fuzzy membership function (slightly soft, soft, loud, very loud) via voice control but the problem is we need to implement hardware into the project because my course is Electronic Engineering.

So far, I've only got the idea to write the program using Matlab and then by using the MIC to control the volume by saying the commands and then the software will process everything and then the music will play from the speakers.
    But so far, I can't think of a way to include hardware into this project.

Can someone help me please......

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about using four comparators with different thresholds? Whenever the signal crosses a threshold, the comparator turn ons. The result is a four-bit "thermometer code," like this:

0000 : no comparators tripped; no signal
    0001 : only the lowest-threshold thermometer tripped; slightly soft
    0011 : two comparators tripped, soft
    0111 : three comparators tripped, loud
    1111 : four comparators tripped, very loud

Since there will be pulses on each of these signals in time with the music, you might want to take a moving average of them, etc.

- Warren

4. Jun 7, 2007 #3
    but it requires an analog voice input, how to link it to the comparators?

5. Jun 7, 2007 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try wires.

- Warren

6. Jun 7, 2007 #5
    I'm sorry but I don't quite understand this part.

and can I do the project like this :
    I burn the Matlab programming into an IC and then run it with the 4 comparators.
    The MIC will be connected to this circuit which will then connect to the speaker.
    So when I say the command, the IC will read it and produce the significant signal to the comparator and then the speaker's volume will react to the comparator's results.

7. Jun 8, 2007 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sorry, but if you think you can simply burn MATLAB programming into an integrated circuit, I don't think you have the expertise to attempt this project. I don't really have to walk you through details like connecting a signal to a comparator. I suggest that you speak to your professor.

- Warren

8. Jun 9, 2007 #7
    thank you for being straight forward

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?