1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aime 2007 I 10

1. May 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a 6 x 4 grid (6 rows, 4 columns), 12 of the 24 squares are to be shaded so that there are two shaded squares in each row and three shaded squares in each column. Let be the number of shadings with this property. Find the remainder when is divided by 1000.

There is a picture at this link if you do not understand the question:

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php/2007_AIME_I_Problems#Problem_8

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, somehow we need to divide this into case or find some equivalent problem or something. Symmetry might help us since reflection about the middle horizontal line and reflection about the middle vertical line will preserve the property. Also, inversion of color will preserve the property. So the answer (before you take the remainder) must be a multiple of two. Hmmm...I am out of ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

erhenfest, the problem has a solution link. Why don't you click it if you are out of ideas? What's the point to posting it here? This is a "Homework Help" forum, I don't think this qualifies.

4. May 26, 2008 #3
    If there were a hint button, I would click on it but there isn't and I don't want to give up completely.

Almost none of my questions are homework (in fact I am not even taking any math classes this summer). This is also a "coursework forum". But anyway do you think it would be better to post these in "General Math"?

5. May 26, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a reasonable point, but yes, you should probably post them elsewhere. You've already posted one of these without an explicit pointer to the source, though you did quote the AIME reference. Is there a "Problem Practice" forum to discuss problem solving strategies?

6. May 26, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might try this. Just look at the solution for a little bit. Don't read the whole thing through. That constitutes a hint along the lines to proceed without telling you the whole story. I've done it when practicing.

7. May 27, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

cristo suggests you confine these things to a single thread in "General Math" to avoid cluttering up the HH forums.

8. May 27, 2008 #7
  9. May 27, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

10. May 27, 2008 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?