How can one effectively study for the AIME?

• Thread starter Hessam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of learning and solving math problems presented on the AIME and the AMC exams. The speaker expresses their frustration with the difficulty of the questions and asks for advice on how to improve their skills. The other person acknowledges the challenging nature of the exams and suggests practicing with previous tests and studying topics such as number theory and combinatorics. The conversation also mentions the low pass rates for these exams and the high level of skill required to pass and move on to advanced competitions like the USAMO.
Hessam
I was just wondering, how would one go about learning the math that is presented on the AIME or even the AMC?

I understand that its all pre-calculus or lower... however, some of the questions are ridiculously hard (at least for me)...

so this presents my question, how would one go about learning these topics and learning how to solve them? (i am concurrently in calc 2, so it can't be "learn everything up till precalc")

please help, i don't wannah feel raped every time i take the AIME

Mathematics news on Phys.org
there is no easy way to study for math contests like the AIME. Doing practice tests helps. With my experience on an AIME problem, algebra or a manipulation of the problem doesn't solve it. Although algebra could lead you into the right direction for realizing a trick to solving it. I would recommend you study some number theory, and to brush up on combinatorics. Although number theory isn't a must, it does help to be familiar with it.
I agree with you, some of the questions are ridiculously hard, and really long. So do 99% of the people that take the exam. Just to give you an idea of the difficulty of this exam:

5% pass the amc 12 with a 100 or better (95% get raped)
about 2% of the people who pass the amc 12 end up passing the AIME and going on to USAMO.
To pass the AIME and move on to the USAMO, you need to do what 99.9% couldn't do.
This year, I might not make the USAMO due to the abnormally high index that one needs (In comparison to other years, this year's AIME was easier)

Studying for the AIME (American Invitational Mathematics Examination) can be a daunting task, but with the right approach and dedication, it is definitely achievable. Here are some tips for studying for the AIME:

1. Start with the basics: As you mentioned, AIME questions cover pre-calculus and lower level math topics. So, it is important to have a strong foundation in these topics before attempting to solve AIME questions. Make sure you are comfortable with concepts such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and basic number theory.

2. Practice, practice, practice: The best way to prepare for the AIME is to solve as many practice problems as possible. There are plenty of resources available online, such as past AIME papers and practice sets, that you can use to practice. By solving a variety of problems, you can improve your problem-solving skills and become familiar with the types of questions asked in the AIME.

3. Understand the solutions: When you are practicing, make sure you understand the solutions to the problems you solve. If you get stuck on a particular problem, don't just look at the solution and move on. Take the time to understand the solution and the reasoning behind it. This will help you develop a deeper understanding of the concepts and techniques used to solve AIME problems.

4. Use resources: In addition to practice problems, there are also many resources available, such as textbooks, online courses, and study guides, that can help you prepare for the AIME. Use these resources to supplement your learning and gain a better understanding of the topics covered on the AIME.

5. Work with others: Studying with others can be beneficial as you can learn from each other and discuss different approaches to solving problems. You can also join a math club or find a study group to work with.

6. Don't get discouraged: AIME questions can be challenging, and it is normal to feel overwhelmed or frustrated at times. But don't get discouraged. Keep practicing and learning, and remember that even if you don't get a perfect score, the experience of solving difficult problems will only make you a better mathematician.

In conclusion, studying for the AIME requires a combination of hard work, dedication, and a solid understanding of basic math concepts. With the right approach, you can improve your skills and feel more confident when taking the AIME. Good luck!

1. How do I prepare for the AIME?

To prepare for the AIME, it is important to review and understand the key concepts and skills covered on the exam, such as algebra, geometry, and number theory. It can also be helpful to practice with past AIME exams or similar math competitions to get familiar with the types of questions asked.

2. How should I study for the AIME?

Studying for the AIME involves a combination of reviewing key concepts and practicing with past exams. It can also be helpful to work on challenging math problems and seek guidance from teachers or peers if needed. Creating a study schedule and sticking to it can also be beneficial.

3. How much time should I spend studying for the AIME?

The amount of time spent studying for the AIME will vary for each individual, but it is recommended to start studying at least a few months before the exam. It is important to allocate enough time to review key concepts and practice with past exams, while also balancing other commitments and avoiding burnout.

4. What are some effective study strategies for the AIME?

Some effective study strategies for the AIME include creating a study schedule, reviewing key concepts and skills, practicing with past exams, and seeking guidance from teachers or peers. It can also be helpful to break down larger concepts into smaller, more manageable chunks and to focus on areas where you may need more practice.

5. How can I improve my score on the AIME?

To improve your score on the AIME, it is important to continue reviewing key concepts and practicing with past exams. It can also be helpful to analyze your mistakes and seek guidance to better understand how to approach similar problems in the future. Additionally, staying calm and focused during the exam can also lead to improved performance.