Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air Bag Inflation Rate

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    I am designing an exhaust powered vehicle car jack air bag. I have calculated the mass flow rate and velocity of the exhaust gases leaving the vehicles exhaust pipe. I need to calculate the amount of time it will take to inflate an air bag of a particular size. What equations do I need to be using in order to calcualte the rate of inflation? Also I need to calcuate the stresses the air bag will have to withstand in order to lift the vehicle. I have taken fluid mechanics but I am having trouble figuring out which equations to use.

Thanks for the help......

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2
    turn mass flow into volume flow, i would think. if its a cylindar, then you need to consider the walls of the inflated material as the weakest point (or the seams, or the intake). there should be some mechanics of materials equations for a pressureized cylinlar, then superpose a force on the cylindar from the car load at a sidewall position (say r=R or x=r,y=0.z=0.5h or something). then you need to do all the principle stuff with the design

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook