Airbag Injuries & Stopping Distance After Accident

• Thread starter Mdhiggenz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the distance traveled during a complete stop in a vehicle when the airbags deploy at a maximum acceleration of 60m/s^2 for a duration of 36 seconds or less. The conversation also touches on using different equations to solve for the distance traveled, with one person opting for the formula s=1/2a(t)^2 and another suggesting the use of s=.5at^2 due to the units not matching up in the first equation. The concept of initial and final speeds is also mentioned as a possible approach to solving the problem.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

During an auto accident, the vehicle's air bags deploy and slowdown the passengers more gently than if they had hit the windshieldor steering wheel. According to safety standards, the bags producea maximum acceleration of 60, but lasting for only 36 (or less).

How far (in meters) does a person travel in coming to a completestop in 36 at a constant accelerationof 60?

Homework Equations

s=1/2a(t)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I first did was analyze what I have. I know I have an acceleration of -588m/s^2 ( due to the ax=-g) also I have the time which is 0.036s.

I initially wanted to use the forumula vx2=v0x2 +2ax(x-x0)

Here is where I constantly get confused in these types of problems I know one of the velocities is going to be zero but how do I know which one to make zero.

So what I wanted to do was acquire one of the velocities using vx=v0x+at. Then plug it into the above equation however the solution manual chose to use the following equation s=1/2a(t)^2.

Can someone explain to me why my thought process is wrong and why, and how they acquired the above equation.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
36 what? 60 what? What are the units? Where did you get your formula? The units are not correct. vx^2 has units of distance^3/time and ax has dimensions of distance^2/time^2

Assume the maximum acceleration (deceleration) is constant over the maximum stopping time. How would you determine initial speed from that? What is the final speed?

You may find it is simpler to use s = .5at^2

AM

Last edited:

1. What are airbag injuries?

Airbag injuries refer to any physical harm that is caused by the deployment of an airbag in a vehicle during an accident. This can include bruises, burns, broken bones, and other more serious injuries.

2. What are the most common types of airbag injuries?

The most common types of airbag injuries are facial injuries, such as bruises and burns from the airbag deploying at high speeds. Other common injuries include broken bones, neck injuries, and injuries to the hands and arms.

3. How can airbag injuries be prevented?

Airbag injuries can be prevented by wearing a seatbelt and keeping a safe distance from the airbag when it deploys. Also, make sure to keep your hands and arms away from the airbag and avoid placing any objects between you and the airbag.

4. What is the stopping distance after an accident?

The stopping distance after an accident is the distance that a vehicle travels after the brakes have been applied. This distance is affected by various factors, such as the speed of the vehicle, the condition of the brakes, and the weight of the vehicle.

5. How can the stopping distance after an accident be reduced?

The stopping distance after an accident can be reduced by maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles, regularly checking and maintaining the brakes, and driving at a safe speed. It is also important to avoid distracted driving and to be aware of road conditions.