How dangerous is it to ascend with expanding lungs?

In summary, Jacques observes a bubble of air rising from the bottom of a lake to the surface. The ratio of the bubble's volume at the surface to its volume at the bottom can be calculated using the combined gas law. It is not safe for Jacques to hold his breath while ascending, as the expanding air in his lungs could cause serious injuries.
erik-the-red
Question
A diver named Jacques observes a bubble of air rising from the bottom of a lake (where the absolute pressure is [tex]3.50 {\rm atm}[/tex]) to the surface (where the pressure is [tex]1.00 {\rm atm}[/tex]). The temperature at the bottom is [tex]4.0{\rm ^{\circ} C}[/tex], and the temperature at the surface is [tex]23.0{\rm ^{\circ} C}[/tex].
1. What is the ratio of the volume of the bubble as it reaches the surface ( [tex]V_s[/tex]) to its volume at the bottom ([tex]V_b[/tex])?
Well, I'm thinking [tex]P_b = P_s + \rho \cdot g \cdot h[/tex]. But, I don't know the height, so this may not be the right place to start.
Another thing I was thinking was [tex]\rho_{water} = \frac{m}{V} = 1[/tex] kg / L.
But, it seems like neither of these will get me started.
What is a good starting point for this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Treat the air in the bubble as an ideal gas.

erik-the-red said:
Well, I'm thinking [tex]P_b = P_s + \rho \cdot g \cdot h[/tex]. But, I don't know the height, so this may not be the right place to start.
The first thing that strikes me when I see this is: "Don't you know everything but the height?"

What is a good starting point for this question?
I would probably begin by trying to think of a principle (and corresponding formula, if appropriate) that would involve the volume of the bubble.

Hurkyl said:
The first thing that strikes me when I see this is: "Don't you know everything but the height?"

What possessed me to not realize that?

I played on Doc Al's hint on treating the air in the bubble as an ideal gas. If so, this means I can use the combined gas law.

[tex]\frac{P_s \cdot V_s}{T_s} = \frac{P_b \cdot V_b}{T_b}[/tex].

From that, I get [tex]\frac{V_s}{V_b} = \frac{P_b \cdot T_s}{P_s \cdot T_b}[/tex].

Plugging in known values results in [tex]\frac{V_s}{V_b} = \frac{3.50 * (23.0 + 273.15)}{1.00 * (4.00 + 273.15)}[/tex].

This is 3.74. Is this correct?

OK, my answer is correct, after two very stupid answers :D

The second part of the question is:

Would it be safe for Jacques to hold his breath while ascending from the bottom of the lake to the surface?

The volume at the surface is almost four times the volume at the bottom. I think the answer is no. If he holds it in, the volume of air in his chest will expand, right?

erik-the-red said:

Would it be safe for Jacques to hold his breath while ascending from the bottom of the lake to the surface?

The volume at the surface is almost four times the volume at the bottom. I think the answer is no. If he holds it in, the volume of air in his chest will expand, right?

That actually depends on what kind of diving Jaques is doing. If he's using compressed air of any kind (like SCUBA gear), then the answer is definitely no. If, on the other hand he's free diving then he could (mostly) get away with holding his breath. (A difference of 2.5 atmospheres corresponds to about 90 feet, which is quite feasible.)

erik-the-red said:
OK, my answer is correct, after two very stupid answers :D

Here is the answer

If Jacques were holding his breath, then air would be unable to enter or leave his lungs. As he ascends to the surface, the air in his lungs would expand, like the air in the bubble, and his lungs would have to stretch outward to hold this increased volume, which would be extremely unsafe.

In fact, even if he does not hold his breath, if he ascends too quickly after a particularly long or deep dive, the nitrogen dissolved in his bloodstream could form into small bubbles, which can be equally dangerous to any diver. This condition is known as decompression sickness, or more commonly as the bends.

jyeh1989107 said:
Here is the answer

If Jacques were holding his breath, then air would be unable to enter or leave his lungs. As he ascends to the surface, the air in his lungs would expand, like the air in the bubble, and his lungs would have to stretch outward to hold this increased volume, which would be extremely unsafe.
A bit of an understatement there. :rolleyes:

The lungs can only stand an overpressure of about 25%. More will cause the alveoli (air sacs) will rupture and his blood will leak out into his pleura (the space between the lungs and the chest wall). And that's just the start...

1. What causes air bubbles to rise in a lake?

There are several possible causes for air bubbles to rise in a lake. One common cause is the release of dissolved gases from decaying organic matter, such as leaves or algae, at the bottom of the lake. Another possible cause is the activity of aquatic organisms, such as fish or plants, which can produce bubbles as a byproduct of their respiration.

2. Is the presence of air bubbles in a lake a sign of pollution?

No, the presence of air bubbles in a lake does not necessarily indicate pollution. As mentioned, these bubbles can occur naturally due to various biological and chemical processes. However, if the bubbles are accompanied by foul odors or unusual discoloration of the water, it may be a sign of pollution and should be reported to the appropriate authorities.

3. Can air bubbles in a lake harm aquatic life?

In most cases, air bubbles rising in a lake do not harm aquatic life. However, if the bubbles are caused by a sudden release of toxic gases, it can be harmful to fish and other organisms. It is important to monitor the source of the bubbles and take appropriate measures if necessary.

4. How can the presence of air bubbles in a lake impact water quality?

The presence of air bubbles in a lake can have a positive or negative impact on water quality, depending on the cause. If the bubbles are caused by the release of dissolved gases from decaying matter, it can actually improve water quality by helping to circulate and oxygenate the water. However, if the bubbles are caused by pollution or toxic gases, it can have a negative impact on water quality and the health of aquatic life.

5. Is it safe to swim in a lake with air bubbles rising to the surface?

In most cases, it is safe to swim in a lake with air bubbles rising to the surface. However, it is important to be cautious and avoid areas where there is a high concentration of bubbles, as it may indicate a potential hazard. It is always a good idea to check with local authorities or posted signs before entering any body of water.