Scuba Diver Bubble: Diameter at Surface?

In summary, the diameter of a spherical air bubble originating from a scuba diver at a depth of 18 m and reaching the surface will be 1.7 cm. This can be calculated using the formula p = po + density*g*h, where p is hydrostatic pressure, po is atmospheric pressure, density is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the liquid. Other factors, such as the type of water, do not need to be considered in this scenario.
pkossak
A spherical air bubble originating from a scuba diver at a depth of 18 m has a
diameter of 1 cm. What will the bubble's diameter be when it reaches the
surface? (Assume constant temp)
a. 0.7 cm b. 1 cm c. 1.4 cm d. 1.7 cm

I know this problem shouldn't be all that difficult, but I'm not sure how to convert the depth into pressure. I would think they would say whether or not the water was sea water, so I was wondering if there was another way to figure this out other than through using density. Maybe I am over analyzing and that part was simply left out, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks again help.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes i believe you are making it harder than it really is.

hydrostatic pressure is defined by

p = density * height of liquid

try this and see if it helps

Thanks for the help. I ended up using p = po + density*g*h and got the answer I was looking for.

1. What is the diameter of a scuba diver bubble at the surface?

The diameter of a scuba diver bubble at the surface varies depending on several factors, such as the depth of the dive, the size of the exhaled breath, and the surrounding water temperature. On average, the diameter can range from 3-10 millimeters.

2. How does the diameter of a scuba diver bubble change with depth?

The diameter of a scuba diver bubble decreases as the depth of the dive increases. This is due to the increase in water pressure, which causes the bubble to compress and decrease in size.

3. What is the significance of the diameter of a scuba diver bubble?

The diameter of a scuba diver bubble is important for several reasons. It can indicate the diver's depth and the rate at which they ascend to the surface. It can also affect the diver's buoyancy and their ability to control their movements underwater.

4. Can the diameter of a scuba diver bubble be controlled?

Yes, the diameter of a scuba diver bubble can be controlled by the diver. By adjusting their breathing rate and the force of their exhalation, they can control the size of the bubbles they release. This can be helpful in maintaining their buoyancy and avoiding rapid ascents.

5. Does the surrounding water temperature affect the diameter of a scuba diver bubble?

Yes, the surrounding water temperature can affect the diameter of a scuba diver bubble. Colder water temperatures can cause the bubbles to shrink more quickly, while warmer water temperatures can cause them to expand. This can impact the diver's buoyancy and their control over their movements.