1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air Compressors

1. Apr 25, 2005 #1
    Does anyone know of any sites that have a good schematic of an air compressor?
    or possibly some sites about homebuilt air compressors?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2005 #2

Cliff_J

Science Advisor

There are so many units available its doubtful that you would be able to build one cheaper than buying a second-hand one, and with so many risks if your pressure storage system would fail and propel shrapnel that I must ask why would you home build this?

There are a few designs but a popular air compressor pump is a piston design that is much like a regular 4-stroke engine except it only has the intake and exhuast cycles.

4. Apr 25, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Since you are talking about a homebuilt compressor, I am assuming that you are interested in a reciprocating compressor. Since compressors are on the competitive side, I don't think you'll have much luck finding a cross section of one. There are a lot of manufacturers out there that have pretty informative web sites. One of the more general ones that should have some good info for you is here:

http://www.knowpressure.org/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?