Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air Compressors

1. Apr 25, 2005 #1
    Does anyone know of any sites that have a good schematic of an air compressor?
    or possibly some sites about homebuilt air compressors?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

There are so many units available its doubtful that you would be able to build one cheaper than buying a second-hand one, and with so many risks if your pressure storage system would fail and propel shrapnel that I must ask why would you home build this?

There are a few designs but a popular air compressor pump is a piston design that is much like a regular 4-stroke engine except it only has the intake and exhuast cycles.
  4. Apr 25, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

Since you are talking about a homebuilt compressor, I am assuming that you are interested in a reciprocating compressor. Since compressors are on the competitive side, I don't think you'll have much luck finding a cross section of one. There are a lot of manufacturers out there that have pretty informative web sites. One of the more general ones that should have some good info for you is here:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?