1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air condition

1. Mar 22, 2006 #1
    I have very basic question, one function of domestic air condition is to cool air can any body tell me other functions more than that?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Maybe the same unit can remove particulate contamination from the air? And maybe reduce the humidity level if desired?

4. Mar 22, 2006 #3
    What about oxygen,does it play any part in bringing oxygen in the room?

5. Mar 22, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think it does. I've heard of air conditioning units creating ozone from oxygen though.

6. Mar 22, 2006 #5
    So you want to tell me that if I lock you in aircondition room for 3 days your going to faint.

7. Mar 22, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Depends on the type of air conditioning unit. If it is a mobile one, i.e. not ported to the outside then yes (you can't just make oxygen). However, if it is ported to the outside then oxygen will still be coming into the room from outside.

8. Mar 22, 2006 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the room is sealed, then the human being inside would eventually consume enough oxygen that he'd die, yes.

Real living spaces are not (at all!) air-tight, however, and most air conditioning systems bring fresh air from the outdoors, cool it, then pump it into the room. In this situation, of course, the oxygen levels would stay pretty much constant, and the person would get along just fine.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?