Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air conditioning and calculus

1. Nov 28, 2005 #1
    i am trying to come up with a project that relates calculus and air conditioning/ heating. I work for an air conditioning company and I am taking a Calculus course in college and we are supposed to do a project that outlines a practical application for calculus. I was thinking perhaps calculus has something to do with the load calcs or something if anyone has any suggestions or where I could get some literature on the subject.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2005 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you get into partial differential equations, then the heat flow equation has applilcations to climate control and AC.

4. Nov 30, 2005 #3
    Does anyone else have any suggestions on a project that has anything to do with air conditioning/heating, i haven't done partial differential equations.

5. Dec 1, 2005 #4
    You might do somthing with the locations of the windows and how much cooling or heating power you would need during the day. Most of this has been workedout and you could find it in a HVAC book, but wouldn't be too hard to reproduce.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?