1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air consumption Rate

1. Feb 27, 2013 #1
    Hi all

I am trying to set up a report showing the air consumption rate of my cylinder actuators on different valves. I am stuck at the very end where I should calculate the air consumption rate. All calcs are in metric units.

Okay as an example lets use the following:
    Valve: SKG200 with closing thrust 1259kg at 10bar line pressure.
    Actuator size: D = 250 mm
    Valve stroke: S = 296 mm
    Cylinder rod diameter: d = 32 mm
    Available air pressure: P2_guage = 4 bar

Now I calculated the total cylinder volume for the closing and opening strokes:
    V_open = ((D-d)/10)^2*∏/4*S = 8584.8 cm^3
    V_close = (D/10)^2*∏/4*S = 11290.1 cm^3

So the total air consumption respectively:
    Air_open = V_open*(P2_guage+1)/1000 = 42.92 liter
    Air_closed = V_close*(P2_guage+1)/1000 = 56.5 liter

And with a maximum operating speed of 25mm/s we calculate that the duration of the stroke is:
    t = S/25 = 296/25 = 11.84 sec

So now that I have all this info, how do I calculate the rate of air consumption if I want to know what size compressor to buy... Thanks guys and I hope this is in the correct forum...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you saying:

a) it uses 43L to move the piston one way and another 57L to move it back the other way? eg a total of 100L per cycle?

or

b) The cylinder volume changes from 43 to 57 L in one stroke and no air is used for the return stroke? (eg the load or a spring does the return).

Is the duration of the stroke the same in both directions? eg The cycle time is 2 * 11.84 = 23.68 seconds?

Assuming you mean a) then..

The max consumption is going to be around...

100L every 23.68 seconds
    or
    (100/23.68) * 60 = 253 L/min

4. Feb 28, 2013 #3
    CWatters: Yes as stated in A it is a double acting actuator... Lets say that the duration of the strokes is the same so yes thanks, now you made that seem pretty obvious, haha...
    Thanks

Now the other thing I started to have trouble with, say I do not want to place a spring for fail safe purposes (load is to big), I am recommending an air receiver.

I however have to size the receiver accordingly. Lets say for only the closing stroke.
    I know I have to use Boyle's law: pV = k or p1V1 = p2V2

I've tried a view solutions by now. I dont know what to use as V1 and V2? Do I use the 57 liters as V1 and say V2 = Vreceiver + V1? One of the engineers said that rule of thumb says multiply it by 4 so that gives 228L! But surely I can get to the answer using Boyle's law.

Thanks for the help

5. Feb 28, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm afraid that's outside my level of experience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook