Calculating Maximum Air Cooling Capacity for Room w/ 2 Computers

In summary, the problem is to calculate the maximum cooling capacity for a room with two 1 kW computers using forced air cooling. The ventilation method must be used and an empirical formula is preferred, but one has not been found yet. The attempt at a solution has not yet been started and the request for additional information or new findings has been made.
Fleet

Homework Statement

I have an "abstract" problem. Calculate the maximum cooling capacity for forced air cooling of a room. The room contains two computers that each has a energy usage of 1 kW.
v_air_in=75m^3/h
v_air_out=30m^3/h

Homework Equations

As the cooling is done by ventilation (ie. no air conditioning), I am free to use an empirical formula if I can find one, provided I can argue why it's sensible. Unfortunately I haven't found one, do you know where I can find one (eg. article link)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't started this part yet.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. How do you calculate the maximum air cooling capacity for a room with 2 computers?

To calculate the maximum air cooling capacity for a room with 2 computers, you will need to determine the heat output of each computer and the size of the room. The formula for calculating air cooling capacity is Q = m x Cp x ΔT, where Q is the heat output, m is the mass flow rate of air, Cp is the specific heat capacity of air, and ΔT is the temperature difference between the incoming and outgoing air. Once you have these values, you can calculate the total cooling capacity needed for the room.

2. How do I determine the heat output of each computer?

The heat output of a computer can vary depending on its components and usage. To determine the heat output, you can use a tool called a thermal design power (TDP) calculator, which takes into account the power consumption and heat dissipation of each component in the computer. You can also check the specifications of your computer or contact the manufacturer for more accurate information.

3. What is the mass flow rate of air and how do I calculate it?

The mass flow rate of air is the amount of air that passes through the cooling system per unit of time. It is usually measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM). To calculate the mass flow rate, you will need to know the volume of the room and the desired air changes per hour (ACH). The formula for calculating mass flow rate is m = (V x ACH) / 60, where m is the mass flow rate, V is the volume of the room, and ACH is the desired air changes per hour.

4. What is the specific heat capacity of air and how does it affect air cooling capacity?

The specific heat capacity of air is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of air by one degree Celsius. It is a measure of how much heat energy air can hold. The higher the specific heat capacity, the more heat energy air can absorb. This is important for air cooling capacity because it determines how much heat energy can be removed from the room.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the maximum air cooling capacity for a room with 2 computers?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the maximum air cooling capacity for a room, such as the type and efficiency of the cooling system, the insulation of the room, and the ambient temperature. It is important to consider these factors in addition to the heat output of the computers when calculating the maximum air cooling capacity for a room.