Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air Core Saturation

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Is it possible to saturate an air core? Would you have to trap the air for this to work. Are domains a meaningless concept in a fluid, even if it's trapped? (i.e. it can still circulate in it's 'prison').

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I don't believe you can talk about saturation unless the core is ferromagnetic in nature. Not sure about paramagnetic and diamagnetic materials, but AFAIK, air is not magnetic.

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

but are any materials truly non-magnetic?

I've always had this kind of philosophy (not assuming that it's correct, but it's my working philosophy for now) that there are no absolutes in nature. As an example, there's no perfect conductors or perfect insulators... everything is somewhere in between.

Note: I'm a hybrid physicist-engineer, so I tend to get completely different answers depending on which flavor of professor I ask these questions.

5. Oct 1, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I believe that you will measure the same inductance whether an "air core" inductor is in air or in a vacuum, but I haven't tried the experiment.

As for non-magnetic materials I'm thinking now about large MRI magnets and Fusion confinement magnets... Seems like the air around them (well, until the Fusion chamber is pumped down) isn't disturbed by those high fields. Interesting question, though.

6. Oct 1, 2009 #5
  7. Oct 2, 2009 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Wait a minute... so ferromagnetism hasn't been proven yet?!

Good find.

edit: nevermind, poor wording:

"Ketterle and company weren't able to spot individual domains of alignment, which would be incontrovertible proof of ferromagnetism"

I'm guessing ferromagnetism is the observation, and this sentence is trying to say that there's no proof that Stoner's model necessarily leads to that observation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook