1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air Coupling

1. Oct 6, 2005 #1
    I am trying to learn more about air coupling.
    That is the coupling between 2 shafts
    I am having a hard time finding any information on the subject matter
    does anyone know how these systems work and have any diagrams?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Maybe it's because I haven't had my coffee yet this morning, but I can't say I have ever seen or heard of an air coupling for shafts. Can you point me to an existing application?

4. Oct 7, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Does this have anything to do with concentric counter-rotating shafts?

5. Oct 7, 2005 #4

mezarashi

Homework Helper

Something like how when you blow one fan into another fan, the second fan's rotors start moving as well? It seems like a very weak sort of coupling... maybe better in more viscous fluids or the other way around? o_O

6. Oct 7, 2005 #5
    i was reading about this coupling with turbine engines from Pratt & Whitney.
    i can't for the life of me find the link right now

but i think mezarashi has described it

7. Oct 7, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

So it's like a hydrostatic drive without the hydro? Sounds pretty inefficient.

8. Oct 7, 2005 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Certainly, if one takes an axial flow from one fan and impose it on another fan, the second fan's blade will experience energy/momentum from the flow and start to rotate. That would be expected.

In conventional turbo-compressors and turbines, one normally has a set of stationary blades (stator) and rotating set of blades (rotor). For a very simple turbine or compressor with two stages, one could have counter-rotating blade sets. One can get comparable energy transfer but at reduced rotational speed.

As for hydraulic coupling - automatic transmissions use just that.

In the case of PW, how are the turbine engines suppose to be coupled?

9. Oct 7, 2005 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Engine spools do, at times, counter rotate to the other. The rotational directions are set up via gas path angles in the rotors themselves. I have not really heard of this as a coupling. The usual mechanical coupling is a curvic coupling. I'll do some seariching around now that you gave a hint to it's application. It would be nice to see the link you are referring to.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?