Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air Coupling

1. Oct 6, 2005 #1
    I am trying to learn more about air coupling.
    That is the coupling between 2 shafts
    I am having a hard time finding any information on the subject matter
    does anyone know how these systems work and have any diagrams?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Maybe it's because I haven't had my coffee yet this morning, but I can't say I have ever seen or heard of an air coupling for shafts. Can you point me to an existing application?

4. Oct 7, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Does this have anything to do with concentric counter-rotating shafts?

5. Oct 7, 2005 #4

mezarashi

Homework Helper

Something like how when you blow one fan into another fan, the second fan's rotors start moving as well? It seems like a very weak sort of coupling... maybe better in more viscous fluids or the other way around? o_O

6. Oct 7, 2005 #5
    i was reading about this coupling with turbine engines from Pratt & Whitney.
    i can't for the life of me find the link right now

but i think mezarashi has described it

7. Oct 7, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

So it's like a hydrostatic drive without the hydro? Sounds pretty inefficient.

8. Oct 7, 2005 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Certainly, if one takes an axial flow from one fan and impose it on another fan, the second fan's blade will experience energy/momentum from the flow and start to rotate. That would be expected.

In conventional turbo-compressors and turbines, one normally has a set of stationary blades (stator) and rotating set of blades (rotor). For a very simple turbine or compressor with two stages, one could have counter-rotating blade sets. One can get comparable energy transfer but at reduced rotational speed.

As for hydraulic coupling - automatic transmissions use just that.

In the case of PW, how are the turbine engines suppose to be coupled?

9. Oct 7, 2005 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Engine spools do, at times, counter rotate to the other. The rotational directions are set up via gas path angles in the rotors themselves. I have not really heard of this as a coupling. The usual mechanical coupling is a curvic coupling. I'll do some seariching around now that you gave a hint to it's application. It would be nice to see the link you are referring to.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?