Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air Curtain Calculation

1. Apr 18, 2014 #1
    I would like to calculate the values for an air curtain. I've tried using the aircurtain calculator from Engineering Toolbox:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-curtains-d_129.html

Δp = 2.2 q2 sin(α) / b H3/4

but I'm not sure how to figure in the length of the opening - q (q = air flow through discharge nozzle (m3/s per meter opening width in wall)).

Ultimately I like to have a formula where I can see how the volume of air required changes as the size of the opening changes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2014 #2
    Its really up to you the designer actually regarding how much air discharge you want people to feel when passing through of course not too much or too little, find a good balance , most formula as such has 2 unknown variable, you get to fill it in and play around with the proportion..

For ware houses, shopping malls and similar buildings with openings up to 2.5 m the velocity should not exceed 5 - 9 m/s. For industrial buildings the velocity can be exceeded to 35 - 40 m/s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook