Can I Use an Air Cylinder for Pumping Alumina-Filled Polyester Resin?

In summary, an air cylinder to liquid pump uses compressed air to move a piston and pump liquid through a valve, providing precise control over the movement and amount of liquid. Its advantages include handling a wide range of viscosities and corrosive fluids, compact size and portability, and low maintenance requirements. It differs from other pumps by using compressed air instead of electricity or manual operation, making it versatile and suitable for use in situations where electricity may not be available. It is best suited for applications requiring precise control over liquid movement, such as laboratory experiments and industrial manufacturing, and can also be used in remote or hazardous environments. Maintenance involves regular cleaning and lubrication, and troubleshooting may include checking for air leaks and blockages and ensuring proper pressure and
FiveO
Hello

I need to build a pump to transfer alumina filled polyester resin. Can I use something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Pcs-KSC50x100-50mm-Bore-100mm-Stroke-Double-Action-Pneumatic-Air-Cylinder-/350908339995?hash=item51b3c4571b ? One to use resin pumping, other for moving the resin pump with air.

Excuse my English, it's not my native tongue

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you diagram your system? Are you pumping high-temperature melted resin?

Last edited:
Ok, I try to diagram my system on evening.

No, the resin is in normal temperature, it is liquid what is later mixed with hardener.

1. How does an air cylinder to liquid pump work?

An air cylinder to liquid pump works by using compressed air to move a piston, which in turn moves the liquid through the pump. The compressed air is controlled by a valve, allowing for precise control over the movement and amount of liquid being pumped.

2. What are the advantages of using an air cylinder to liquid pump?

There are several advantages to using an air cylinder to liquid pump, including its ability to handle a wide range of viscosities and corrosive fluids, its compact size and portability, and its low maintenance requirements.

3. How is an air cylinder to liquid pump different from other types of pumps?

An air cylinder to liquid pump differs from other types of pumps in that it uses compressed air instead of an electric motor or manual operation to move the liquid. This makes it more versatile and suitable for use in situations where electricity may not be available or may pose a safety risk.

4. What types of applications are best suited for an air cylinder to liquid pump?

An air cylinder to liquid pump is ideal for applications where precise control over the amount and movement of liquid is required, such as in laboratory experiments, chemical processing, and industrial manufacturing. It can also be used in remote or hazardous environments where electricity is not accessible.

5. How do I maintain and troubleshoot an air cylinder to liquid pump?

Maintenance for an air cylinder to liquid pump typically involves regular cleaning and lubrication of the piston and valve components. If the pump is not functioning properly, troubleshooting steps may include checking for air leaks, inspecting the valves for blockages, and ensuring proper pressure and flow settings. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and recommendations for maintenance and troubleshooting.