Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air cylinders for leverage

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    I am wanting to use two air cylinders to get the leverage I need to make a mechanical movement easier. Right now I have a foot pedal that's connected to a rod that also connects at the other end to a cross shaft on a pedal steel guitar. This cross shaft is connected to another rod that is connected to a changer finger that when pulled stretches a string. The problem I have now is no matter how I make my connections using mechanical leverage here and there I still have to press on the pedal harder than I would like in order to stretch this string. What I have in mind is to use two air cylinders to get the mechanical leverage I need to make pressing this pedal easier so I can stretch this string with less effort. If I connect my pedal to the rod of an air cylinder say that's a 1.5 inch bore with a 3/4 inch stroke, run an air line from the port of this cylinder where air escapes when I pull the shaft, and connect the other end of this air line to the port of the second air cylinder that is a 3/8 inch bore with a 1/2 inch stroke. The object is to get the movement of the first cylinder to move the second cylinder but since the first cylinder is a bigger bore than the second cylinder wouldn't it give me the leverage I need to make this movement with less effort from my pedal?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted