1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air Drag Doubts

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1
    Hi,

I have second doubts on air drag problem.

Let's say an object is moving with speed v_obj = 15 m/s and that the air is moving with speed v_wind = -2 m/s. What is the the force of air drag? If There would be no wind. The force would be 1/2*drag coeff.*density of air*area*v_obj^2. But with the wind blowing, should I say that there are 2 forces acting, force of wind which is 1/2*drag coeff.*density of air*area*v_wind^2 + force due to movement of the object in the air 1/2*drag coeff.*density of air*area*v_obj^2. Soo the solution is 1/2*drag coeff.*density of air*area*(v_obj+v_wind)^2. Soo the speed we use is actually 15 m/s - 2m/s. Which will give the same resoult as we would be moving trough still air with speed of 13 m/s? That doesnt seem logical to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Drag on an object is dependent on the relative fluid velocity with respect to the object, so if a plane is moving at 15 m/s (wrt to coordinate system - e.g. ground) and the air is moving at -2 m/s (wrt same coordinate system as plane) then the relative velocity is 17 m/s, and this would be the same as plane at 17 m/s in still air.

The coordinate reference is key.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?