Solving Air Drag Equation with Horizontal Velocity & Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of equations of motion for an object with air drag. The equations are obtained by using a website and integrating the equation for horizontal velocity. A question arises about the use of the same drag in the horizontal and vertical directions, which is found to be incorrect. The correct total drag force is given, as well as the horizontal and vertical components. The conversation also delves into the use of cosine and sine in calculating the components of the drag force in different directions.
vettett15
Hey guys, I am working on deriving some equations of motion for an object with air drag.

I am using this site to help me: http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/flteqs.html

Here is my problem, at the bottom of that page they have this equation for horizontal velocity:

1. u = dx/dt = Vt^2 * Uo / (Vt^2 + g * Uo * t)

Then they integrate it to get horizontal distance

2. x = (Vt^2 / g) * ln( (Vt^2 + g * Uo * t) / Vt^2 )

When I take equation 1 and put it in MATLAB to integrate I get this

3. x = (Vt^2 / g) * ln( (Vt^2 + g * Uo * t) )

Now if I take either equation 3 or 2 and differentiate it, I will get equation 1.

How do they get equation 2 from integrating equation 1? Vt is terminal velocity by the way so that is just a constant. Uo is just the initial velocity. I assume in equation 1 when they took the integral on dx becomes x from x0 to x, x0 being 0 so you just get x. The right hand side you would get from t0 t, t0 being 0 so you are left with t.

Thanks,
Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
Formula 3 is the correct indefinite integral. You must evaluate it at both points (t2 and t1) and subtract. If t1=0 this does not mean that the value of integral is zero. Use the correct values of indefinite integral and log(a)-log(b)=log(a/b) and you will get the same result as eq. 2.

retarded I am

Thanks so much for the reply. I can't believe I missed that, I just assumed that everything was multiplied by t so the zero would wipe it all out. Thanks again.

another question

I also had another question, on the same website I sent you, they are getting equations of motion in the horizontal and vertical directions. My question is, for both the horizontal and vertical directions they are using the same drag.

If you thought of the horizontal and vertical velocities as independent of each other, the object travels upwards with a velocity and a drag force acting down on it, but the Cd and Area would be totally different than that of the horizontal drag.

Originally I thought to find the drag in the direction of travel and then just get the components for the horizontal and vertical directions, but the problem is that there isn't a constant theta, the direction of travel is always changing.

If I make the assumption that the horizontal velocity is >> than the vertical velocity, can I just ignore the vertical drag?

vettett15 said:
I also had another question, on the same website I sent you, they are getting equations of motion in the horizontal and vertical directions. My question is, for both the horizontal and vertical directions they are using the same drag.

They have this wrong. they have horizontal drag force:

[tex] \frac{C_d A \rho v_x^2 } {2} [/tex]

and vertical drag force

[tex] \frac{C_d A \rho v_y^2 } {2} [/tex]

but the total drag force is

[tex] \frac{C_d A \rho (v_x^2+v_y^2)} {2} [/tex]

and the horizontal and vertical components are:

[tex] \frac{C_d A \rho v_x (v_x^2+v_y^2)} {2 \sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2 }} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{C_d A \rho v_y (v_x^2+v_y^2) } {2 \sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2 }} [/tex]

ok that makes since, going from what you have as total drag to the x and y drag components it looks like you just put a ratio of vx/v and vy/v in there. v equaling sqrt(vx^2+vy^2). That makes sense. Thanks

question

kamerling,

I was looking at your formula again and had a question. making Cd*A*p/2 equal to C to make this more simple.

You have total drag force as:

C*v^2 which is the same as C*(vx^2+vy^2)

Then you say the horizontal component is:

C*vx*(vx^2+vy^2)/sqrt(vx^2_vy2)

Which is essentially, correct me if I am wrong is saying:

C*v^2*cos(theta)

Where cos(theta) = vx/v = vx/sqrt(vx^2+vy^2)

But shouldn't it be instead:

C*(v*cos(theta))^2 which would just give what you have at the top of your post.

C*vx^2

and

C*vy^2

which if you say the x and y components of the drag force make up the total drag force:

(C*v^2)^2=(C*vx^2)^2+(C*vy^2)^2

C*v^4 = C*vx^4 + C*vy^4

vettett15 said:
kamerling,

C*v^2*cos(theta)

Where cos(theta) = vx/v = vx/sqrt(vx^2+vy^2)

But shouldn't it be instead:

C*(v*cos(theta))^2 which would just give what you have at the top of your post.

[/QUOTE}

No it shouldn't. If the combined force is C*V^2 , the components must be C*v^2*cos(theta) and C*v^2*sin(theta).

kamerling,

Thanks for the reply, I see what you are saying if you have a force in line with the direction of motion than that force is F. The components are Fcos(theta) and Fsin(theta). I am thinking along this line of thought. The horizontal and vertical motions are independent, so in the horizontal I have Cd*A*p/2*vx^2 and the vertical I have Cd*A*p/2*vy^2. The problem I see with my thinking is that Cd and A are different between the horizontal and vertical motions.

What is the air drag equation?

The air drag equation is a mathematical formula that describes the force of air resistance on an object moving through a fluid, such as air. It takes into account the velocity, density, and surface area of the object to calculate the force of air resistance.

Why is it important to solve the air drag equation with horizontal velocity and distance?

Solving the air drag equation with horizontal velocity and distance allows us to accurately predict the trajectory and motion of objects moving through the air, such as projectiles or vehicles. It is an essential tool for engineers and scientists in various fields, including aerospace, automotive, and sports.

What factors influence the air drag equation?

The air drag equation is affected by several variables, including the velocity of the object, the density of the fluid it is moving through, the surface area of the object, and the shape and orientation of the object. Other factors such as air temperature and pressure can also have an impact on air resistance.

How is the air drag equation derived?

The air drag equation is derived from a combination of theoretical and experimental methods. It is based on the principles of fluid dynamics and Newton's laws of motion. Through experimentation and data analysis, scientists and engineers have been able to develop an accurate equation that describes the force of air resistance.

What are some applications of solving the air drag equation with horizontal velocity and distance?

The air drag equation has many practical applications in various industries. It is used in the design of aircraft and spacecraft, as well as in the development of high-speed trains and cars. It is also crucial in sports such as cycling, skiing, and golf, where air resistance can significantly impact performance. Additionally, the air drag equation is used in weather forecasting and wind tunnel testing.