Calculating Air Volume for Boat Stability in Water

• Thread starter champ2823
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of pontoons to increase stability for a small boat. The equation to determine the necessary air volume to float 300 pounds is based on Archimedes principle, which states that the upwards thrust on a submerged object is equal to the weight of the water displaced. The weight of the air is negligible in this calculation. It is recommended to oversize the pontoons by 25%-50% to account for the weight of the boat and cargo.
champ2823
Being that I have little experience in physics, but have grown a fascination for it, I am hoping you guys can help with a problem. A friend of mine wants to make a few pontoons to make his boat more stable. It's just a smaller 15' aluminum boat that he uses for hooping (catching lobsters).
He wants to know how much air volume he needs to float about 300 pounds. How much weight a specific volume of air will hold in water. What exactly would the equation be to figure that out? I'm guessing it's so simple that I've overanalyzed it. I'm hoping that I've made myself clear enoug.

Physics news on Phys.org
1 cc of air will displace about 1 gram of water. That works out to about 62.4 pounds of water displaced by 1 cubic foot of air. The weight of the air is negligible. I think that's all you need.

All you need is Archimedes principle. That is, the upwards thrust on a submerged object is equal to the weight of water that is displaced. So to provide 300 pounds of floatation you need to displace 300pounds of water (I'm not sure how much that is, I use metric). If you use an air filled device to displace that water, then the weight of the air is negligible. But if you use something heavier (say wood for example), then you need to add the weight of the wood to the weight of the boat.

I assume that means the boat will hold 300lb of cargo, so remember to factor in the weight of the boat when doing the calculations. And oversize the pontoons by 25%-50%

Ok thanks guys, I was looking at Archimedes principle and figured it had to do with that.

1. What is air flotation in water?

Air flotation in water refers to the process of separating particles or substances from water by injecting air bubbles into the water. These air bubbles attach to the particles and cause them to float to the surface, where they can be easily removed.

2. How does air flotation in water work?

Air flotation in water works by utilizing the principle of buoyancy. The air bubbles, which are lighter than water, attach to the particles and cause them to rise to the surface. This process can be enhanced by adding chemicals or adjusting the pH of the water.

3. What are the applications of air flotation in water?

Air flotation in water is commonly used in wastewater treatment plants to remove suspended solids, oil, and grease. It is also used in the mining industry for the separation of valuable minerals from ore, and in the food and beverage industry for clarification of juices and other liquids.

4. How is air flotation in water different from other water treatment methods?

Air flotation in water is different from other water treatment methods, such as sedimentation and filtration, because it relies on the physical process of floating particles rather than the use of gravity or a filter. It is also more efficient in removing smaller particles and can be used for a wider range of substances.

5. Are there any limitations to air flotation in water?

While air flotation in water is a highly effective method of water treatment, it does have some limitations. It is not suitable for the removal of dissolved substances, such as salts and minerals, and may require pre-treatment to remove larger particles. Additionally, it can be more energy-intensive and costly compared to other treatment methods.