Why Does Closing My Door Increase the Breeze in My Room?

In summary, the conversation is about the air flow in a room and the effect of a partially open door on the intensity of the breeze. The closer the door is to being completely shut, the stronger the breeze becomes due to the air outside rushing through the room. This effect can also be felt by pushing the door towards the doorframe, creating a refreshing blast of wind. The explanation for this phenomenon may be that the smaller gap created by the partially open door requires a faster air flow, causing a greater pressure drop and creating a force on the door.
blackmarch103
Hi, I have a question about air flow. My room is located on the corner-end of my building, on the 7th floor. I have two windows, each one facing a different side of the building, and one of the windows typically produces the breeze, and the other never does.

When the door to my room is closed, there is typically less of a breeze. When the door is open, the breeze picks up a little. This is all fine and good, but here's where it gets interesting:

The closer the door is to being completely shut. the more the breeze intensifies. It's like the air outside is rushing through my room to get into the rest of my house before the door closes. I can feel the resistance the door exerts on me, and it gets stronger the closer the door is to being completely shut.

Whenever I feel too hot, I can summon a strong refreshing blast of wind by just pushing the door towards the doorframe till it's open just a crack. And here's the thing, if the door does shut completely, the wind stops immediately

Can someone please explain what exactly is going on?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.
blackmarch103 said:
The closer the door is to being completely shut. the more the breeze intensifies.
Do you feel this effect only when you are standing at the door? Or if you have a friend closing the door, does the breeze felt by you at the window also intensify?

Have you measured the air flow, or do you just evaluate it by listening to the whistling? Same flow through a small opening will be much noisier (requires higher speed of air) than through a large opening, leaving you with the feeling flow changes - when it fact it can be exactly the same.

+1

Same volume of air trying to get through a smaller gap requires a faster air flow. Also causes a greater pressure drop through the door creating a force on the door.

Likes russ_watters

1. How does air flow affect the closing of doors?

Air flow can create differences in air pressure between the inside and outside of a room, which can make it more difficult to close doors. A strong air flow can push against the door, making it harder to close, while a lack of air flow can create a vacuum effect, making it harder to open the door.

2. Why does the air pressure in a room change when a door is opened or closed?

When a door is opened or closed, it creates a change in the volume of air in the room. This change in volume leads to a change in air pressure, as the air particles try to equalize the pressure inside and outside of the room. This change in air pressure can affect how easily a door can be opened or closed.

3. How does the size of a room impact air flow and door closing?

The size of a room can greatly impact air flow and door closing. In smaller rooms, there is less space for air to circulate, which can lead to strong air flow and differences in air pressure when doors are opened or closed. In larger rooms, air flow may be more evenly distributed and have less of an impact on door closing.

4. Does weather affect air flow and door closing?

Yes, weather can have a significant impact on air flow and door closing. Windy weather can create strong air flow, which can make it more difficult to close doors. Changes in temperature can also affect air pressure and the movement of air in and out of a room, which can impact door closing.

5. How can I improve air flow and make it easier to close doors?

There are a few ways to improve air flow and make it easier to close doors. One option is to install a weatherstripping seal around the edges of the door to create a tighter seal and prevent air from flowing in or out. Another option is to use a door closer mechanism to ensure that the door fully closes and creates a strong seal against air flow. Additionally, keeping windows closed and using fans or air conditioning can help regulate air flow and reduce the impact on door closing.