Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Air flow meter

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i am trying to make an air flow meter using an heating element which i got from an iron..basically i have thought of inserting the element into a duct through which i will pass air using a blower,to connect the element with a 12v supply in series with a ammeter...thn i ahve planned to scale the amount of air flowing with respect to the cahnges in current tht it produces.i am not sure if i will suceed with this idea..i would like to know what others tink about it

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2
    You mean to measure the changes in resistance due to self heating? I don't think that will be very accurate. I'd think you'll need an upstream and a downstream thermometer.

I hope this is an 110V heating element, that you run with such a low voltage that the temparature can't get dangerously high? Even at only 1% a heating element without attached iron can get quite hot already.

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    i just want to measure the air flow using the element..if i apply 12 volts across it and let air flow across it it would cool down and the resistance would change causing the current to change right??..i have to further convert the current to voltage so that i can use a micro controller ahead..if u have any other ideas of how to make an air flow meter plz do post them

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook