Air Flow Crash Course: Pressure Drop V. Vol, Speed, Duct Size & Shape

In summary, air flow refers to the movement of air through a space or system, while pressure drop is the decrease in air pressure as it moves through a duct or system. Air velocity affects pressure drop, with higher velocities resulting in increased pressure drop. Duct size and shape also play a significant role in air flow and pressure drop, with smaller ducts and more complex shapes leading to higher pressure drop. To reduce pressure drop, it is important to choose the right duct size and shape, minimize bends and turns, and regularly maintain and clean the ducts.
Bern
Can anyone suggest a site where I can get a crash course in air flow? What I am looking for is pressure drop verses various volumes, speed, duct size, shape, etc. I have spent over an hour searching the net, but haven't had any luck. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is air flow?

Air flow is the movement of air through a specific space or system. It is measured in volume per unit time, typically expressed as cubic feet per minute (CFM).

2. What is pressure drop?

Pressure drop refers to the decrease in air pressure as it moves through a duct or system. It is affected by factors such as duct size, shape, and air velocity.

3. How does air velocity affect pressure drop?

As air velocity increases, pressure drop also increases. This is because the air molecules are moving faster and creating more resistance against the walls of the duct, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

4. How do duct size and shape impact air flow and pressure drop?

The size and shape of a duct can greatly affect air flow and pressure drop. A smaller duct will result in higher air velocity and therefore, a higher pressure drop. Additionally, the shape of the duct can create turbulence and increase pressure drop.

5. How can I reduce pressure drop in my system?

To reduce pressure drop, it is important to choose the right duct size and shape for your system. Additionally, minimizing bends and turns in the duct can also help reduce pressure drop. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the ducts can also improve air flow and decrease pressure drop.