Best Shape Around Valve Guide for Engine Flow

In summary, Philippe asks about the best theoretical shape of a valve guide for optimal flow in a combustion engine. The expert clarifies that the guide does not affect flow and suggests considering the valve face and seat instead. Philippe then explains that he meant the intake pipe around the valve guide. The expert shares their experience with Mopar 'B' heads and states that the guide should ideally be flush with the port wall for minimal flow disruption. They also mention the importance of a smooth intake runner and port wall for preventing turbulence, but note that some swirl is necessary for efficient combustion. Philippe expresses a differing opinion on polishing the intake pipe, to which the expert expresses curiosity. They also mention the benefits of porting and polishing for increasing horsepower.
philippeF
Hello
May you tell me what is the best theoretical shape around a valve guide for best flowing in an combustion engine ?
best regards
Philippe

Physics news on Phys.org
philippeF said:
Hello
May you tell me what is the best theoretical shape around a valve guide for best flowing in an combustion engine ?
best regards
Philippe
Do you perhaps mean the valve face and seat, as opposed to the 'guide'? We might be using different terminology here, but to me the guide is the part that the stem passes through, and it has nothing to do with the flow.

Danger said:
Do you perhaps mean the valve face and seat, as opposed to the 'guide'? We might be using different terminology here, but to me the guide is the part that the stem passes through, and it has nothing to do with the flow.

Hello
i mean in the intake pipe, around the valve guide...

philippeF said:
Hello
i mean in the intake pipe, around the valve guide...
Okay. The only valves that I have personal experience with are in Mopar 'B' heads. The guide barely protrudes into the intake port about (3/16"), and is just a cylindrical extension of the head casting. Ideally, I supposed, it would be flush with the port wall and therefore have no effect at all on the airflow rather than merely very little as is the case now.
The intake runner and port wall should be as smooth as possible to prevent turbulence that would be an impediment, but the actual shape and length will depend upon what performance characteristics you want from the engine. Once the intake charge is entering the chamber, though, you don't want a smooth flow. A 'swirl' is necessary to maintain complete fuel atomization and ensure that the flame front progresses in the most efficient pattern. What that pattern is depends upon the combustion chamber and piston dome shapes, as well as spark-plug placement.
That's as far as I can go with it, since I'm neither a mechanic nor an engineer.

Thanks, even if i have not the same opinion about polishing intake pipe..
regards
Philippe

philippeF said:
Thanks, even if i have not the same opinion about polishing intake pipe..
You're welcome. I'm curious about your opinion regarding the intake runner, though. One of the simplest horsepower boosting operations when rebuilding an engine is 'porting and polishing', wherein you grind the port mouths and intake/exhaust runners to an exact dimensional match and smooth out any casting flaws or surface irregularities. The whole point of that is to reduce flow turbulence at the junction. It gives a big power boost for the outlay of a couple of Dremel bits and some emery paper.

1. What is the purpose of a valve guide in an engine?

A valve guide is a cylindrical component that is installed in the cylinder head of an engine. Its main purpose is to guide the valves and keep them in proper alignment as they open and close, ensuring efficient engine flow.

2. How does the shape of a valve guide affect engine flow?

The shape of a valve guide can greatly impact engine flow. A properly designed and shaped valve guide can enhance airflow and improve the overall performance of the engine. An optimal shape can also reduce turbulence and increase the velocity of the air and fuel mixture, resulting in better combustion.

3. What is the best shape for a valve guide to maximize engine flow?

The best shape for a valve guide is one that is designed specifically for the engine it is being used in. This can vary depending on factors such as the type of engine, fuel type, and intended use. However, in general, a smooth and streamlined shape with minimal restrictions is ideal for maximizing engine flow.

4. Can the shape of a valve guide be modified for better engine flow?

Yes, the shape of a valve guide can be modified to improve engine flow. This can be done through various techniques such as porting and polishing, which involve reshaping the valve guide and its surrounding areas to optimize airflow. However, it is important to note that any modifications should be done carefully and with proper knowledge to avoid damaging the engine.

5. How important is the shape of a valve guide for engine performance?

The shape of a valve guide is crucial for engine performance. A poorly designed or shaped valve guide can result in inefficient airflow, which can lead to reduced power, decreased fuel efficiency, and potential engine damage. It is important to ensure that the shape of the valve guide is optimized for the specific engine to achieve the best performance.