Air Force Physicist Career and AFROTC

In summary, the Air Force Physicist has a very technical job that can vary based on their position and their research. They also may or may not have to go through AFROTC. It is advised to get a commission if you want to stay in the Air Force after your undergraduate degree.
PhyFan
Hello! I am a high school student who is going to attend college this year (Phyiscs major). I was curious about the career prospects of being an Air Force Physicist, like what kind of work (research etc.) does one do, average salary, career prospects etc. Also, does one need to go through the AFROTC to be an Air Force Physicist? It seems so atleast according to their site, but just checking. Lastly, is it advisable in terms of career prospects and benefits to go down this track for a physics majoring student? I would appreciate your advice and comments...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PhyFan!

I'm not sure you'll get much of a response here on PF, as I don't think that that any of our regular members were ever physicists in the U.S. Air Force (but hey, you never know). I enlisted in the air force but I ended up turning wrenches, so I can't offer any advice specific to being an air force physicist. However if you have any general questions about the AF feel free to send me a private message.

PhyFan said:
I was curious about the career prospects of being an Air Force Physicist, like what kind of work (research etc.) does one do, average salary, career prospects etc.

Your salary depends primarily on your grade (rank), then your time in service (how long you've been in the military), and finally any bonuses/benefits you might get. Here's a link to an up to date pay chart that will tell you what your base pay would be based on your grade and your time in service. For example, a 2nd Lieutenant (O1) with less than 2 years in the service will receive $3108 per month in base pay. On top of your base pay, you will usually receive a monthly stipend for BAS (subsistence, aka food) and BAH (housing allowance). If you were stationed at Davis Monthan AFB here in Tucson Arizona as an O1, you would receive an additional $1074.00 per month as a housing allowance (calculator here) and $253.63 for subsistence. Your total monthly pay would be roughly $4435 before taxes. Note that BAH and BAS are not taxable.

Also, while base pay and BAS are the same for everyone of a particular rank and time in service, BAH varies a great deal depending on where you live. If you are stationed in California in an area where housing is very expensive, you will receive a much larger BAH than someone living in, say, Louisiana where housing is cheap. But don't let that fool you. You might receive more BAH in some locations, but that's not pocket money. You'll be spending it on your housing.

Likes CalcNerd and berkeman
First of all, get a commission. If you are good enough, the Air Force will send you to to Wright Patterson AF Base and then to do a graduate degree at Air Force Institute of Technology. After a PhD, you'll be assigned to Air Force Research Labs as a program manager but not as a practicing physicist. If you want to be a practicing physicist, get a commission and stay in the reserves and get a job at AFRL, ARL or NRL.

Likes CalcNerd
Hi! I know this almost a year old, but I stumbled across a similar old one and thought I should create an account and set up some alerts so people can find me. I am an Air Force physicist (61D) - currently a Captain and just finished a PhD in physics paid for by the Air Force. To answer some of your questions:

1. Carrer/what we do/pay? I see pay has already been covered (and no, getting a PhD does not increase your pay, it has ZERO impact in that respect). As for what we do, the answer is that it depends. Generally our job can be described as directing and managing the Air Force's most technical projects when it comes to physics. We advise and direct research for the Air Force that truly requires understanding of the science involved. I myself have done some coding, some field tests of a lab bench level advanced LiDAR prototype and am currently working on some cool stuff I won't post here but could talk about in a PM. As for career, we actually "do science" up until we make Major, at that point it is a lot more management, so in that sense it isn't a great career choice if you really want to DO physics. That being said, you will get some GREAT experience right out of college as a 2d Lt 61D and if you decide to bail later, it will set you up well

2. Do you have to do AFROTC? - Technically no, but 61D is a TINY career field, and getting it out of OTS will likely be VERY challenging. Even getting it out of AFROTC could be a bit tough unless you have some stellar grades.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Drakkith

1. What is an Air Force Physicist?

An Air Force Physicist is a scientist who uses the principles of physics to solve problems and develop technologies for the United States Air Force. They may work on a variety of projects, including developing new weapons systems, improving aircraft design, and researching cutting-edge technologies for military use.

2. What is the difference between a civilian physicist and an Air Force Physicist?

The main difference between a civilian physicist and an Air Force Physicist is their employer. While civilian physicists work in various industries and organizations, Air Force Physicists work specifically for the US Air Force and focus on projects that are relevant to national defense and military operations.

3. What are the qualifications for becoming an Air Force Physicist?

To become an Air Force Physicist, you must first complete a four-year degree in physics or a related field. After that, you can apply for the Air Force ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps) program, which provides education and training for commissioned officers in the Air Force. You must also meet the physical and academic requirements set by the Air Force.

4. How does the AFROTC program prepare individuals for a career as an Air Force Physicist?

The AFROTC program offers courses and training in various scientific and technical fields, including physics. This education, combined with military training and leadership development, prepares individuals for a career as an Air Force Physicist. Additionally, the program offers opportunities for internships and research projects that allow students to gain hands-on experience in their desired field.

5. What career opportunities are available for Air Force Physicists?

Air Force Physicists can pursue various career paths within the Air Force, such as research and development, testing and evaluation, and acquisition management. They may also have the opportunity to work on classified projects and collaborate with other scientists and engineers from different disciplines. Additionally, many Air Force Physicists go on to pursue careers in the private sector after their service in the Air Force.