1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air Force Scientist

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    Thinking about becoming an Air Force Scientist after college. I just want to know everyone's opinions.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2
    Depends on your expertise and area of interest.

Also, are you looking to join the Air Force (ROTC to become an officer)? Or are you looking to work for an aerospace contractor. Research or engineering?

The officer route may be the easiest way into a certain field, but the pay is less than working in the private industries.

4. Jun 16, 2010 #3
    If you are looking to get commission, I have the following advice:

1) Have nothing to do with the enlisted recruiters – don’t even use them to find the appropriate path to getting a commission. I’m saddened to say my experience with enlisted recruiters suggested they were outright liars, and they made getting in touch with the appropriate person to become an officer much more difficult than it would have been had I simply used the internet. I assume there are exceptions, but many other people have had similar experiences as me.

2) Be ready for an involved process. The application is ginormous and they want many things, including lots of character references. It’s not difficult – being aware that it can be a long process is half the battle.

3) Do some research on what you’ll actually be researching. Some of the AF research programs have been shut down (is COIL still active at all, for instance?), so you might find yourself doing something you didn’t intend to do.

Best of luck, and do let us know how it goes.

5. Jun 16, 2010 #4
    Yes, I am looking to becoming an officer over civilian contracting because they would help me pursue my doctorate as well as let me see the world a bit before I settle down somewhere.

Do you know where to look to find out more about the Air Force Scientist, because the information on their website is minimal and I don't want to talk to a recruiter right now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook