1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air hockey physics

1. Oct 12, 2003 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

where can i find information about the physics of air hockey?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2003 #2
    i don't know any sites about it, but its pretty simple i think.

the puck floats at the height at which its weight and the force exerted by the rising air are equal and opposite.

4. Oct 12, 2003 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

i more want to know the physics of scoring in air hockey.
    all the ways of scoring, types of shots swing shot (which i think is also called curved shot).

5. Oct 13, 2003 #4
    Suppose that the puck has center x,y and radius r and is moving along vector v, and suppose that the boundary (walls) of the playing field is given by a rectangle (x1,y1,x2,y2) with goals occupying the middle third of each end of the field. Given the above assuptions, write equations (and then procedures) for the following.
    1 ) The position of the puck after time t has elapsed, assuming it has not hit anything.
    2 ) The new motion vector for the puck after it hits a wall. (Walls are perfectly straight, so they are perfect reflectors.)
    3 ) The new motion vector for the puck after it hits a paddle with center px,py and radius pr.
    4 ) A boolean function that determines whether or not the puck has collided with a wall.
    5 ) A boolean function that determines whether or not the puck has entered the goal.
    6 ) A boolean function that determines whether or not the puck has collided with a paddle.

6. Oct 15, 2003 #5

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

i dont see how the boolean functions determine the nature of the shot.
    i cant see how how boolean functions can determine the angle of the puck on the wall.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook