Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air hockey physics

1. Oct 12, 2003 #1
    where can i find information about the physics of air hockey?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2003 #2
    i don't know any sites about it, but its pretty simple i think.

the puck floats at the height at which its weight and the force exerted by the rising air are equal and opposite.

4. Oct 12, 2003 #3
    i more want to know the physics of scoring in air hockey.
    all the ways of scoring, types of shots swing shot (which i think is also called curved shot).

5. Oct 13, 2003 #4
    Suppose that the puck has center x,y and radius r and is moving along vector v, and suppose that the boundary (walls) of the playing field is given by a rectangle (x1,y1,x2,y2) with goals occupying the middle third of each end of the field. Given the above assuptions, write equations (and then procedures) for the following.
    1 ) The position of the puck after time t has elapsed, assuming it has not hit anything.
    2 ) The new motion vector for the puck after it hits a wall. (Walls are perfectly straight, so they are perfect reflectors.)
    3 ) The new motion vector for the puck after it hits a paddle with center px,py and radius pr.
    4 ) A boolean function that determines whether or not the puck has collided with a wall.
    5 ) A boolean function that determines whether or not the puck has entered the goal.
    6 ) A boolean function that determines whether or not the puck has collided with a paddle.

6. Oct 15, 2003 #5
    i dont see how the boolean functions determine the nature of the shot.
    i cant see how how boolean functions can determine the angle of the puck on the wall.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?