Air hockey physics

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
where can i find information about the physics of air hockey?

i don't know any sites about it, but its pretty simple i think.

the puck floats at the height at which its weight and the force exerted by the rising air are equal and opposite.

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
i more want to know the physics of scoring in air hockey.
all the ways of scoring, types of shots swing shot (which i think is also called curved shot).

khalid_kacst

Suppose that the puck has center x,y and radius r and is moving along vector v, and suppose that the boundary (walls) of the playing field is given by a rectangle (x1,y1,x2,y2) with goals occupying the middle third of each end of the field. Given the above assuptions, write equations (and then procedures) for the following.
1 ) The position of the puck after time t has elapsed, assuming it has not hit anything.
2 ) The new motion vector for the puck after it hits a wall. (Walls are perfectly straight, so they are perfect reflectors.)
3 ) The new motion vector for the puck after it hits a paddle with center px,py and radius pr.
4 ) A boolean function that determines whether or not the puck has collided with a wall.
5 ) A boolean function that determines whether or not the puck has entered the goal.
6 ) A boolean function that determines whether or not the puck has collided with a paddle.

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
i dont see how the boolean functions determine the nature of the shot.
i cant see how how boolean functions can determine the angle of the puck on the wall.