Exploring the Physics of Air Hockey: A Comprehensive Guide

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Physics
In summary, the physics of air hockey involve the puck floating at the height where its weight and the force of rising air are equal, as well as the various types of shots and scoring methods. To determine the position of the puck after a certain amount of time, the new motion vector after hitting a wall, and after hitting a paddle, equations and procedures can be written based on the puck's initial position, velocity, and the boundaries of the playing field. Boolean functions can also be used to determine if the puck has collided with a wall, entered the goal, or hit a paddle. However, it is not clear how these functions can determine the angle of the puck on the wall or the nature of the shot.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
where can i find information about the physics of air hockey?

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't know any sites about it, but its pretty simple i think.

the puck floats at the height at which its weight and the force exerted by the rising air are equal and opposite.

i more want to know the physics of scoring in air hockey.
all the ways of scoring, types of shots swing shot (which i think is also called curved shot).

Suppose that the puck has center x,y and radius r and is moving along vector v, and suppose that the boundary (walls) of the playing field is given by a rectangle (x1,y1,x2,y2) with goals occupying the middle third of each end of the field. Given the above assuptions, write equations (and then procedures) for the following.
1 ) The position of the puck after time t has elapsed, assuming it has not hit anything.
2 ) The new motion vector for the puck after it hits a wall. (Walls are perfectly straight, so they are perfect reflectors.)
3 ) The new motion vector for the puck after it hits a paddle with center px,py and radius pr.
4 ) A boolean function that determines whether or not the puck has collided with a wall.
5 ) A boolean function that determines whether or not the puck has entered the goal.
6 ) A boolean function that determines whether or not the puck has collided with a paddle.

i don't see how the boolean functions determine the nature of the shot.
i can't see how how boolean functions can determine the angle of the puck on the wall.

1. What is air hockey?

Air hockey is a fast-paced and competitive game played on a specially designed table with two players. The game involves using a puck and mallets to hit the puck into the opponent's goal, while the surface of the table is continuously blown with air to reduce friction and increase the speed of the puck.

2. How does the air hockey table work?

The air hockey table is equipped with a fan that blows air through tiny holes on the surface of the table. This creates a cushion of air that reduces friction and allows the puck to glide smoothly across the surface of the table. The fan is powered by a motor and can be adjusted to control the speed and intensity of the air flow.

3. What are the physics principles involved in air hockey?

The main physics principles involved in air hockey are Newton's laws of motion, specifically the laws of inertia, force, and action and reaction. The speed and direction of the puck are affected by the force and angle at which it is hit by the mallet, as well as the friction and air resistance on the table.

4. How can I improve my air hockey skills?

To improve your air hockey skills, you can practice your hand-eye coordination, speed, and strategy. Paying attention to the angle and force at which you hit the puck, as well as anticipating your opponent's moves, can also greatly improve your performance in the game.

5. Are there any safety considerations when playing air hockey?

While air hockey is generally a safe game, there are a few safety considerations to keep in mind. Avoid putting your fingers or hands near the goal openings, and be careful when retrieving the puck from the table. Also, ensure that the table is in good condition and the air flow is not too strong, as it can cause the puck to fly off the table and potentially cause injury.