Calculating Gas Volume and Molecule Count in Lungs During Submarine Emergency

In summary: Please check your calculations before proceeding.In summary, a submarine with several people on board is stuck at the bottom of the ocean without diving gear. The air pressure inside is 3.500 atm and the air temperature is 17.52 °C. To make their way to the surface, the second person takes a deep breath and maintains a constant lung volume by exhaling all the way up. The answers to the given questions are 4.86e23 particles of air in their lungs after inhaling, and 0.23 moles of gas remaining in the lungs. However, the calculations for these answers may not be accurate due to incorrect use of the gas constant and conversion of moles to molecules.
mexqwerty
A submarine has run into trouble and is stuck at the bottom of the ocean. Several people are on board and must make their way to the surface without any diving gear. The air pressure aboard the submarine is 3.500 atm. The air temperature inside the submarine is 17.52 °C and you can take body temperature (inside the lungs) to be 37.70 °C.

The second person to leave also takes a breath as deep as possible by exhaling as far as possible (leaving a volume of 1.140 L in their lungs), and then slowly inhaling to increase their lung volume by 4.740 L. His body temperature is also 37.70 °C.
(i) How many particles of air do their lungs contain after inhaling?
(ii) This person breathes out all the way to the surface in order to maintain a constant lung volume. How many moles of gas remain in the lungs?

The answers are 4.86e23 and 0.23mol respectively but I don't know how to get them.

I don't have an idea of how to do (i) and for (ii), I'm using PV=nRT (n=PV/RT) but I can't get the right answer. Values I used:
P = 3.500 atm
V = 1.140L +4.740 L
R = 8.315
T = 37.70+273 K

And I got n=7.97e-3 mol which is not right. Am I supposed to do something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the units of the other parameters in the problem, the value you used for the gas constant is not correct. Also, you need to multiply by avigodro's number to convert moles to molecules.

1. How is the volume of air in the lungs calculated?

The volume of air in the lungs is calculated using a measurement device called a spirometer, which measures the amount of air that is exhaled during a forced breath. The volume of air can also be estimated using mathematical equations based on the person's height, weight, and sex.

2. What is the normal amount of air in the lungs?

The normal amount of air in the lungs, also known as tidal volume, is approximately 500 mL for an average adult. However, this can vary based on factors such as age, gender, and physical activity.

3. How does air in the lungs change with exercise?

During exercise, the body's demand for oxygen increases, causing the lungs to take in more air. This results in an increase in both tidal volume and breathing rate, allowing for more oxygen to be transported to the muscles.

4. Can air in the lungs be measured in different positions?

Yes, the volume of air in the lungs can vary depending on the body position. For example, when lying down, the lungs have a greater capacity for air compared to when standing or sitting upright. This is due to the effect of gravity on the chest and diaphragm muscles.

5. What can affect the accuracy of air in the lungs calculations?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of air in the lungs calculations, such as age, gender, physical fitness, and health conditions like asthma or COPD. Additionally, the technique used during measurement, such as not fully exhaling or exhaling too quickly, can also impact the accuracy of the results.