Maximizing Air Ionization with Corona Discharge Emitters

• Thread starter zare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Ions
zare
if i use corona based discharge emmiters in order to ionize air, can i accelerate that air in electric field, having the ion life factor unpredictable? i know the ionization potential of each molecule, as well as new energy, speed, and all variables, can i figure out stability time of ions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You working on a lifter?

if you mean propulsion system, then yes. i wanted to make small thruster that will use accelerated ions as thrust mass, injecting them out with high velocities.

What is corona discharge?

Corona discharge is a phenomenon that occurs when an electric field is strong enough to ionize air molecules around a conductor, creating a faint glow or discharge.

How do corona discharge emitters work?

Corona discharge emitters use a high voltage source to create an electric field that ionizes surrounding air molecules. This ionization process releases negative ions, which attach to dust and other particles in the air, making them easier to capture and remove.

What are the benefits of using corona discharge emitters?

Corona discharge emitters can help improve air quality by removing harmful particles, such as dust, bacteria, and viruses, from the air. They can also help neutralize odors and reduce static electricity. Additionally, they are energy-efficient and do not produce harmful byproducts.

Can corona discharge emitters be harmful to humans?

When used properly, corona discharge emitters are not harmful to humans. However, they do produce small amounts of ozone, which can be irritating to some individuals with respiratory issues. It is important to use corona discharge emitters in well-ventilated areas and to follow manufacturer guidelines.

How can I maximize air ionization with corona discharge emitters?

To maximize air ionization, it is important to properly maintain your corona discharge emitter by regularly cleaning the electrodes and replacing them when necessary. Additionally, placing multiple emitters strategically throughout a room can help improve air quality in all areas. It is also important to choose a corona discharge emitter with the appropriate voltage and coverage for your specific needs.