Air is compressd in a cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of temperature in a diesel motor during the compression stroke using the ideal gas law and comparing it to the adiabatic process equations. The result is 840K, and it is determined that the process is not adiabatic.
Karol

Homework Statement

At the start of the compression stroke, the cylinder in a diesel motor contains 300[cm3] of air at atmospheric pressure and 270C, and at the end of the stroke the volume is 20[cm3] and manometric pressure 41[atm]. What is the temperature.

Homework Equations

$$PV=nRT\rightarrow \frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}={P_1V_2}{T_2}$$
In an adiabatic process: ##T_1V_1^{\gamma-1}=T_2V_2^{\gamma-1}##
And: ##P_1V_1^{\gamma}=P_2V_2^{\gamma}##
γ for air=1.4

The Attempt at a Solution

First i check if this is an adiabatic process by comparing the initial and final volumes and pressures:
$$T_1V_1^{\gamma-1}=1\cdot 300^{1.4}=2937$$
$$T_2V_2^{\gamma-1}=42\cdot 20^{1.4}=2784$$
So it's not, heat leaks.
So i calculate using the equation of state:
$$\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}={P_1V_2}{T_2}\rightarrow \frac{1\cdot 300}{300}=\frac{42\cdot 20}{T_2}\rightarrow T_2=840^0K$$
Is my method true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Note that this is strictly an ideal gas problem. You didn't need to use the equations with the gammas. But, if you had, would your results have been consistent with the gamma equations?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
But, if you had, would your results have been consistent with the gamma equations?
You mean if i solved the gamma equations? i guess not since it isn't adiabatic, i don't understand the question, i think

Karol said:
You mean if i solved the gamma equations? i guess not since it isn't adiabatic
Yes, that's what I meant, and your conclusion is correct.

Chet

Yes, your method is correct. By using the ideal gas law and assuming that the process is isothermal, you were able to calculate the final temperature of the air in the cylinder. However, as you noted, this is not an adiabatic process as heat is lost during compression. If you wanted to take into account the heat loss, you could use the adiabatic equations and solve for the final temperature using the initial temperature and volume, along with the final pressure and volume. This would give you a more accurate result, but your approach is still valid for an approximate calculation.

1. What is air compression and why is it important?

Air compression is the process of reducing the volume of air in a confined space. This is important because it allows for the storage and transportation of large amounts of air in a smaller space, making it more efficient and practical for various applications.

2. How is air compressed in a cylinder?

Air is compressed in a cylinder using a piston or a diaphragm. The piston or diaphragm moves up and down, reducing the volume of the cylinder, which in turn compresses the air inside. Valves are also used to control the flow of air in and out of the cylinder.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to air compression?

The ideal gas law states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are directly proportional to each other. This means that when air is compressed, its pressure and temperature increase, while its volume decreases. The ideal gas law helps us understand and predict the behavior of compressed air.

4. What are the common uses of compressed air?

Compressed air has many practical uses, including in industrial processes, such as powering pneumatic tools and machinery, in transportation systems, such as in air brakes on trains and trucks, and in medical equipment, such as ventilators and anesthesia machines. It is also used in sports equipment, such as scuba tanks and paintball guns.

5. Are there any safety concerns with compressed air?

Yes, there are some safety concerns with compressed air. It can be dangerous if not handled properly, as the high pressure can cause serious injuries. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use appropriate equipment when working with compressed air. Additionally, compressed air can also be a fire hazard if it comes into contact with flammable materials.