1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air is compressd in a cylinder

1. Jan 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At the start of the compression stroke, the cylinder in a diesel motor contains 300[cm3] of air at atmospheric pressure and 270C, and at the end of the stroke the volume is 20[cm3] and manometric pressure 41[atm]. What is the temperature.

2. Relevant equations
    $$PV=nRT\rightarrow \frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}={P_1V_2}{T_2}$$
    In an adiabatic process: ##T_1V_1^{\gamma-1}=T_2V_2^{\gamma-1}##
    And: ##P_1V_1^{\gamma}=P_2V_2^{\gamma}##
    γ for air=1.4

3. The attempt at a solution
    First i check if this is an adiabatic process by comparing the initial and final volumes and pressures:
    $$T_1V_1^{\gamma-1}=1\cdot 300^{1.4}=2937$$
    $$T_2V_2^{\gamma-1}=42\cdot 20^{1.4}=2784$$
    So it's not, heat leaks.
    So i calculate using the equation of state:
    $$\frac{P_1V_1}{T_1}={P_1V_2}{T_2}\rightarrow \frac{1\cdot 300}{300}=\frac{42\cdot 20}{T_2}\rightarrow T_2=840^0K$$
    Is my method true?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2015 #2
    Yes. Note that this is strictly an ideal gas problem. You didn't need to use the equations with the gammas. But, if you had, would your results have been consistent with the gamma equations?

Chet

4. Jan 6, 2015 #3
    You mean if i solved the gamma equations? i guess not since it isn't adiabatic, i don't understand the question, i think

5. Jan 6, 2015 #4
    Yes, that's what I meant, and your conclusion is correct.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted