Determining Constant Mass Flow Rate in a Compressed Air System

In summary: I need to be able to calculate the mass flow rate at any given time to be able to correctly plot the graph.In summary, the old fart is trying to plot a graph of Flow rate vs time, but is having trouble getting the mass flow rate correct.
Calculost
It's been a long time since I had to do any calculus and longer still since I had to deal with ideal gases but now I'm confronted with both.

The problem setup is this:

Air is coming into a compressor at a known mass rate, pressure and temp.

It's being compressed to fill a known tank volume at at given pressure and temperature. Once that pressure is reached the regulator allows air to leave maintaining the same pressure.

I want to plot a graph with the Flow rate vs time.

I was able to get a formula (in terms of Volume, Pressures, Temperature and time) that graphed but it didn't contain the mass flow rate. Seems to me that's important and thus the answer trailed off to almost Zero at the time to fill the tank. I know that's not right. At the moment the regulator releases air the flow rate will remain constant.

the basis is Mass Flow Rate = constant

start making substitutions, intergrating .. bla, bla, bla .. I get lost and need a beer.

Can you help an old fart out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculost said:
Air is coming into a compressor at a known mass rate, pressure and temp. Once ... pressure is reached the regulator allows air to leave
Once the tank has reached the target pressure and the regulator allows the air to leave, then the mass flow out of the regulator is the same as the known mass flow rate going into the compressor (since no more air is going into the tank).

This is ignoring issues like the tank initially getting hot while being filled, then cooling off requring more air flow into the tank in order to maintain pressure while it cools off.

Correct. It's the time from t=0 UNTIL the tank is filled that is of interest.

I've attached the work I've done so far. As I said in my initial post, since the formula I derived doesn't contain the initial mass flow rate I question it's validity.

Attachments

• Finding flow rate into a fixed volume.pdf
    28.5 KB · Views: 349

What is air mass flow rate?

Air mass flow rate is the measurement of the amount of air that passes through a given area in a specific amount of time. It is typically measured in units of mass per unit time, such as kilograms per second or pounds per minute.

How is air mass flow rate determined?

Air mass flow rate is determined by measuring the velocity of the air and the cross-sectional area through which it is flowing. The product of these two values gives the air mass flow rate, which remains constant as long as the velocity and cross-sectional area remain constant.

What factors can affect air mass flow rate?

The main factors that can affect air mass flow rate are changes in the velocity of the air and changes in the cross-sectional area. Other factors that can have an impact include changes in temperature, humidity, and pressure, as well as any obstacles or obstructions in the air flow path.

Why is it important to maintain a constant air mass flow rate?

Maintaining a constant air mass flow rate is important in many industrial and scientific applications, as it allows for consistent and predictable results. In processes such as heating, cooling, and ventilation, a constant air mass flow rate ensures that the desired temperature and humidity levels are maintained. In experiments and testing, a constant air mass flow rate helps to control variables and obtain accurate data.

How is air mass flow rate used in engineering and research?

Air mass flow rate is a critical measurement in many engineering and research fields, including HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning), aerodynamics, and combustion. It is used to design and optimize systems, as well as to study and understand the behavior of fluids and gases in various applications.