Air movement in an exhaust systems

In summary, the conversation revolved around understanding how exhaust systems work and how air movement changes according to the length of vent tubes. The person was wondering if changing the length or adding angles to the exhaust tube would affect the air speed. They also asked if there was a formula for calculating the optimal length of duct. The response was that the optimal length would be zero in order to maintain high velocity. The conversation ended with the person thanking for the help in finding information on Google.
RaavensLv
Hello I'm trying to understand how exhaust systems work .In general I want to understand how air movement changes according to leight of vent tubes. Example I have made little vent system with in lane fan that sucks air out of room. As I understand air speed in tube that is pulling air from chamber to fan is constant depending of fan speed, but air movement in exhaust part of tube(after fan)? Will air apeed will change if I will change leight of exhaustion tube, and making some angles will level down noise but will it lower air speed in end or maybe air will gather in exhaust tube if it will be too
long?
Raivis

Physics news on Phys.org
There volumetric flow rate has to be the same everywhere in the duct and adding more ductwork adds friction, reducing that flow rate.

russ_watters said:
There volumetric flow rate has to be the same everywhere in the duct and adding more ductwork adds friction, reducing that flow rate.
Thanks for response!
So it mens there must be some way to calculate optimal leight of duct. If there is can I get formula for thoes calculations. I tried to google Volumetric flow rate I got simple explanation and SI unit, but there's no other formulas that would explain efficiency.

RaavensLv said:
Thanks for response!
So it mens there must be some way to calculate optimal leight of duct.
What does "optimal length of duct" mean?

russ_watters said:
What does "optimal length of duct" mean?
Leight of duct that will allow air travel trough it and not lose high amount of velocity.

RaavensLv said:
Leight of duct that will allow air travel trough it and not lose high amount of velocity.
In that case, the optimal duct length is zero.

Likes NTL2009
RaavensLv said:
russ_watters said:
In that case, the optimal duct length is zero.

After 3h scrooling and reading in google I found things I was looking for. But thanks for helping brighten my flat brain.

Likes russ_watters

1. How does air movement in an exhaust system work?

Air movement in an exhaust system is driven by pressure differences. As exhaust gases are generated, they create a high-pressure zone in the exhaust system. This pressure difference forces the air to move through the system, carrying the exhaust gases with it.

2. What factors affect air movement in an exhaust system?

The main factors that affect air movement in an exhaust system are the engine size, exhaust pipe diameter, and the number of bends and restrictions in the system. These factors determine the amount of exhaust gases produced and the resistance to air flow, which ultimately affects the air movement.

3. What is the purpose of air movement in an exhaust system?

The main purpose of air movement in an exhaust system is to remove harmful exhaust gases from the engine and release them into the atmosphere. This helps to reduce air pollution and maintain the performance and efficiency of the engine.

4. How can air movement in an exhaust system be improved?

One way to improve air movement in an exhaust system is by using a larger exhaust pipe diameter. This reduces the resistance to air flow and allows for a smoother and faster movement of exhaust gases. Additionally, minimizing the number of bends and restrictions in the system can also improve air movement.

5. What are some common issues with air movement in an exhaust system?

Some common issues with air movement in an exhaust system include back pressure, which can reduce the effectiveness of the engine, and exhaust leaks, which can lead to decreased performance and increased emissions. Regular maintenance and proper installation can help prevent these issues.